17. Despair.

D E S P A I R

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

THEY WERE GOING TO LEAVE, BEFORE THE SCOUTS ARRIVED. They barely made it out of their walls, before the scouts arrived; they put an arrow right into Silas' eyeball. He had been in front of her, otherwise.. It could have been her. So, of course, after that they all high-tailed it out of there and back behind their walls. There's no way they'd make it. The scouts would make short work with the delinquents, having bows and pinpoint accuracy on their side. They'd never make it to the ocean.

Finn, ever the idiot, has been begging Clarke to make them go anyway, to the sea and away from this, but nobody's listening to him. Bellamy gets what he's wanted; War. They had discussed everything under the sun, from war tactics like what to do when they run out of ammo, what their plan actually is, all the way to Hydrazine and using it to barbecue Grounders. Ainsley has to admit she likes that plan. It was always a huge wonder of hers to what happens to humans when they burn to death; alive. Maybe now she'll finally know.

Bellamy placed her with the gunners. It's not a major surprise. Ainsley is pretty good with a gun. She waits until Bellamy commands it, before going to her post with Jasper. She has slight doubts, but she knows and hopes he can hold his own. Her eyes strain as she looks out into the forest. She saw the scouts darting back and forth through the trees, but confusion meddled with her brain. They aren't attacking. Why aren't they attacking? The delinquents were firing up a storm, but none of them landed a kill.

The Grounders dash with poised precision, crossing the trees and using them to their advantage. One Grounder tried to be brave, to dare dash close enough to the Walls that one of the mines blew him up; he screams before all that's left is silence.

"Raven," Jasper says through the radio. "Our mines actually worked."

"Jasper," Clarke says in response. "We need you in the dropship. Right now."

"Negative," Bellamy says. "We can't give up the west woods."

Clarke tells him the west woods are mined. Ainsley sighs, turning away from the radio and turns to Jasper. She tells him to go, before she raises the radio back to her lips.

"All gunners listen up," Ainsley demands their attention with such fervor that they had no choice but to shut up and listen. "They want us to use all our ammo! When they're running laterally, do not shoot! I repeat, do not shoot."

"Ainsley's right. Do not fire unless you're sure it's an attack. Repeat, do not fire unless you're sure."

It happens almost too fast, no sooner than the words came out of Bellamy's mouth, before the Grounders raced forward for battle; the gig is up. It's a blur. People are screaming. One minute she's yelling out orders, and the next a Grounder running straight for her. She fires shot after shoot at the oncoming Grounders, but it's not enough. She's out of bullets. Monroe and Sterling share a look with each other, before they take off running, leaving Ainsley behind.