23

°○°○°○°

°○°○°○°

We were in the kitchen seated at the kitchen island having our hot beverages while I waited for my clothes to dry. We hadn't said a word to each other.

We didn't look at each other - though Matthew would spare some glances to see how I was holding up. We just sat in silence, listening to the rain shower and occasional thunder outside with the tension consuming the air around us like a blackhole.

I looked up from the mug I was drinking from and gazed at him. He looked conflicted judging from the way his forehead was creased, the way he furrowed his eyebrows and the way he was tapping his finger against his mug and chewing his lip.

It was almost as if he was internally debating on whether he should say something or do nothing about the tense silence between us.

He looked up and met my gaze, to which I quickly responded by looking back at the mug and continued sitting in silence. "Beverley."

"Mhm." I answered, my gaze still fixed on the mug.

"Can you look at me?"

I hesitated, biting my lip.

"Please." He replied, imploring with me.

Swallowing the lump in my throat, I reluctantly lifted my eyes to meet his.

"Why are you avoiding me?"

There it was. The question I was dreading to be asked by him. The same question that forced me to think back on what happened back in Eaglesvale.

"I don't want to talk about it." I answered, avoiding his eyes.

"When are you going to? You can't avoid this forever, you know." He said.

"I know. Just not now."

"Why not?"

"Because it's complicated."

He let out a scoff of disbelief. "Is it really complicated or are you just saying that so I don't ask you again?"

I looked up, giving him a hard look. "You don't know me, Matthew. Don't act like you do."

"I may not know you, but I know bullshit when I see it." He countered.

"Since you seem to know so much, then why am I avoiding you?"

"I don't know!" he threw his hands frustrated. "If I did, I wouldn't be asking, nor would we be having this conversation right now."