15

°•~☆~•°

°•~☆~•°

A/N: This chapter contains mature content. Read at your own risk or skip ahead.

Finally, our little adventure came to an end when we reached the hotel. Right when we were about to wrap up and call it a night, I was hit with a sudden realisation. "Shit! I don't have the keys to the hotel room."

The initial plan was for the both of us to return to the hotel by the time the gala was over at around one AM. It was already past eleven when Matthew and I had arrived.

"You can always chill with me in my room while you wait." He offered.

"Oh, no! I can never. It's been a long night and I'm pretty sure you need to rest." I politely declined.

"And I'm pretty sure you don't want to spend the next few hours waiting for Maren." He reasoned. "It's no hassle. I don't mind the company."

I bit my lip, calculating my option until I eventually relented and took the offer.

His room was similar to the deluxe room Maren and I shared. The only difference was it had one queen sized bed.

"Make yourself comfortable." He said as we entered the room.

I quickly took off my heels and threw myself on the couch and massaged my sore feet. I could survive hours wearing heels, but they were a pain in the ass to wear nonetheless if they were going give my feet blisters.

"Do you want anything to drink?" he asked.

"I'm good thanks." I smiled, taking off his jacket and neatly placing it on the table. "I really had a good time."

"It is supposed to be a 'happy birthday'."

"Yeah, but my birthday isn't exactly my favourite time of the year."

"How come?"

"It's just the same thing every year. A year is added to my life. My dad, grandmother and sister give me unnecessary attention..."

"What about your mother?" I looked at him. "You only mentioned your father, grandmother and sister but not your mother." He recalled.

My smile faltered a little, but I quickly forced it back on. "She's not really in the picture. She died when I was really young. I didn't know up until I was thirteen when I found her death certificate with her name and my birthdate on it."

I could tell what he was thinking, or rather what he wanted to say, but kept his mouth shut knowing that he was going to come off as an insensitive asshole.

She died giving birth to you.

It was quite evident in the pity in his eyes.

I let out a bitter laugh. "You don't have to feel sorry for me. It's life. People die all the time."