20

°○°○°○°

°○°○°○°

"Okay, so hypothetically speaking, do you think the priestess-princess actually loved the prince in the story?" Tarry asked during lunch.

I looked up from my phone and gazed at her. "Why do you ask?"

"Well we know the prince was whipped for her but it wasn't confirmed whether she actually reciprocated his feelings." She explained.

"That's because the story was narrated from the mermaid's point of view even though it was written in the third person." I reminded her. "The mermaid never interacted with the priestess-princess and much like the sea witch, she was a catalyst."

"Yes, and I agree, but think outside the box. Think outside of the perspective of the mermaid. Do you think the priestess-princess actually had feelings for the prince?"

I put my phone down and pondered on the question. "I mean...she married him in the end. That should say something."

"But how do we know that she married him out of love. Just because she married the guy doesn't mean that she married him out of love. Marrying him could have been convenient on her part."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Explain."

"Okay, so I have this theory that she married him out convenience."

"Well, it was an arranged marriage which was meant to be beneficial to the kingdoms she and the prince were from."

"Yes, but even though it was beneficial to her kingdom, it was also beneficial to her because she was paired off with someone she actually met." She reasoned. "Can you imagine how terrifying it is being told by your parents that you're marrying a nigga you don't know and have never met for the business, political and social benefits of both families?

"But what about the people who are forcefully tied into the marriage? They don't know each other; they don't know what the other person is capable of and that's scary AF." She explained. "The fact that the priestess-princess knew the prince before hand was relieving for her. She didn't have to worry about doing anything to please him because she had the assurance that he was going to take care of her and treat her well. Of course she was going to do the same, but she didn't have to love him back - maybe she did along the way. Who knows?"

"So what you're saying is..." I said.

"The marriage was pretty much one sided, in my opinion."

My eyebrows flew up as I pursed my lips. 

I have to give it to her, she was making sense and brought up some good points too, I thought. Her theory was interesting.

My phone rang twice. I looked at it and saw that I had six messages from Maren.

Mare-Bear🐻

Hey Bee...
I know this is the 15th time I'm apologising but I'll say it anyway.
I'm sorry for pushing you into sorting things out with Matthew.
I was trying to help but I only made things worse and I'm sorry
Please forgive me 🥺
It's been two weeks already and I think I've been punished enough 🥺