24. I Have a Dream

──・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ──

           I sat at the piano in the choir room, playing the opening notes to the only song I knew on the piano 'I have a dream, by ABBA. The club was waiting for Mr. Schue to arrive, as he had been called to Figgins's office just before glee was meant to start so, now we wait. "I Have a Dream, a song to sing, To help me cope, with anything," I sing softly, as I played the notes to the song. "If you see the wonder, of a fairy tale You can take the future, even if you fail,"

"I believe in angels Something good in everything I see I believe in angels When I know the time is right for me I'll cross the stream, I Have a Dream, I Have a Dream, a fantasy To help me through, reality And my destination makes it worth the while Pushin' through the darkness, still another mile" I sang, messing up the keys to the song. then laughing as I did. I was never too good at piano.  

"Okay, guys, listen up," Mr. Schue said entered the room with some guy I didn't know. "This is Mr. Ryan. He's a member of the school board, and he would like to say a few words. I-I just want you guys to listen critically and know that what he's saying is just one of many opinions,"

I got up from the piano bench and move over to sit with the other, taking a seat next to Tina. "Take out a piece of paper. And on that paper, I want you to write down your biggest dream. A dream that means so much, you're afraid to admit it even to yourself," Mr. Ryan said.

I opened my bag, grabbing a notebook and a pen, flipping to an empty page. A dream, my dream, well I want to be a dancer, but that's not my biggest dream. Instead, I wrote 'a happy family'.

Mr. Ryan walked over to Artie, taking his paper, and crumpling it up. "Your dream is never going to happen. Ninety-one percent of you will spend your entire lives. living in Allen County, Ohio. So unless you wrote down that your dream was to 'work for a mid-market health insurance provider' or 'find an entry-level job in an elderly care facility,' you're going to be very disappointed." he said.

His words hurt me, and I clearly wasn't the only one who was hurt by them. "This is really depressing," Mercedes said,

"I'm going to guess that a lot of your dreams involve 'showbiz.' Well, let me tell you. Showbiz dreams are the most unrealistic of them all," Mr. Ryan continued.

"But... that's what I want to do with my life," Tina said, a lot of people including me agreeing with her. It may not have been what I wrote but dance was what I wanted to do as a career.

"Oh, look, I'm not trying to hurt your feelings, I'm just trying to spare you disappointment,"

"I think we get your point," Mr. Schue said to Mr. Ryan.