Chapter 23: You Are My Faith (IV)

Start from the beginning

Kasier's footsteps paused. It was strange, he had obviously felt some people following them, but why had they all vanished in the blink of an eye?

The group had lost the mood to walk around, so they returned to the inn after buying everything they needed.

Teacher Gwyn smoothly received the reward money and split it among his students. Shang Ke really did get a portion, and although it was only thirty gold coins, it was enough for him to live for a while.

The next day, they set out for the imperial capital.

The situation from the day at the light palace left suspicion in Kaiser's heart. Therefore, for the duration of the trip, Kaiser was especially mindful of Shang Ke's every movement.

Very quickly, he began to notice some oddities. Shang Ke's body could not be considered weak, but his physical strength was very low and he would often reveal a weary appearance after walking for a while. This kind of physical strength was not even equal to normal people, but he did not appear to be ill or injured. His body was also well proportioned and defined, so he had obviously trained before. Kaiser just didn't know why, but his reactions and movements always appeared to be slightly delayed.

Leaving aside those anomalies, Shang Ke was really easy to get along with. He was gentle and clever, merely dismissing Vadula's occasionally mocking remarks with a smile.

After he secretly observed Shang Ke for a while, Kaiser was about to give up. That was, until today, when they incidentally met another person who had been invaded by the devil qi, and the questions in his heart were finally answered.

Shang Ke knelt by that person, placing his hand on him. Afterward, Kaiser could see strands of devil qi slowly flowing into his body.

A trace of shock flashed through Kaiser's eyes, but his face showed nothing. After all of the devil qi was sucked away, the man returned to normal. It was the same as what had happened in the light palace hall.

Kaiser had never known that there was another way to cure a person invaded by devil qi besides the power of faith. And that the price of the other method was to sacrifice oneself.

After Shang Ke finished absorbing the devil qi, his originally jet-black eyes turned an even deeper black and his complexion paled, but his lips were an exceptionally captivating red, giving him a devilish sense of beauty.

He seemed to have noticed Kaiser's gaze, and he pulled down his hood a little more, covering over half of his face and revealing only his captivating lips.

Kaiser's pupils contracted. He finally knew why Shang Ke became so weak that day. It was because the other man was bearing the devil qi's pain for others.

Kaiser thought it was crazy. As everyone knew, being invaded by devil qi not only brought pain, but it was also a torment and test of one's willpower and faith. If you were even the slightest bit careless, then you would be swallowed by the darkness and become a slave to the Devil's Tree. No one was willing to draw devil qi into their own body, because everyone had their own weak points and dark side. No one was able to guarantee that they would be able to stand the pain and not be swayed in the least.

However, Shang Ke had done so, and had likely been doing it for a while.

Kaiser couldn't sense the devil qi on his body, which could only mean one thing. The devil qi he had absorbed had already settled and reached the King level.

Perhaps he was a devil apostle? Kaiser's expression changed slightly, but he immediately denied the thought. If he was truly a devil apostle, then why would he secretly help other people dispel devil qi? Furthermore, after every time he saved someone, he would always be weak for a period. This clearly showed that his willpower and the devil qi were in intense conflict.