AU Short Story Episode 4

On the way back, I kept wiping my eyes, but the tears kept coming. Saruhiko clicked his tongue and it didn't really make me feel any better. He decided to stop and sit down on the side of the road, and he let me cry as we watched the sun reflect off the surface of the water by the beach.
"How long are you going to cry? My ass hurts."
"Then lay down, you jerk!" I hiccupped.
He sighed, doing as told and laying down. I hugged my knees to my chest, and slowly shut my eyes, taking deep breaths.
How'd it come to this? I wondered, my tears slipping through my closed eyes.

I love you, Misaki. I love you, I love you, I love you, and I'll always love you.

"If Munakata never stopped you, how many times would you have gone back?" Saruhiko asked as we walked back to the base.
"I probably never would have stopped. I'd keep trying different things, retry methods I've used before. Tie up Mikoto and Tatara with chains - or trap them in a burn proof room until everything else was taken care of."
He snorted, and then suddenly, actually laughed out loud.
"Do you hate Munakata?" He asked as he settled.
"No. Honestly, it's a good thing he did this. This way, I can actually live my life instead of trying to change everything to fit into a life I want."

The year passed by quickly. Sceptre 4 celebrated my birthday with me, and Saruhiko and I got much closer. But I still wasn't technically over Misaki, because every time I saw him, or thought I saw him, my heart would squeeze and my face would redden slightly if we made eye contact.
I think it actually pissed Saruhiko off.

I walked out with them to greet the new king, Anna, whom smiled when she saw me. I wondered if she remembered me or something, some how, but maybe it was just because she recognized I was the one who gave her those treats all those months ago.
I watched by Saruhiko's side as the red clan met up again, coming together from the signal of a new king. They were laughing together and hugging each other, reuniting after all this time. A new hope had been born... and I felt isolated. The first time I ended up going back in time was a mistake. I didn't know I could do it until it happened, so it's not like I could say I shouldn't have ever gone back in the first place. Frankly, I'm glad I did, even if it ended so horribly.
"Yuri!"
I gasped, looking up to see Misaki waving towards me, "Come here for a sec!"
I blinked, shocked, and I glanced at Saruhiko.
"What are you looking at me for?"
I walked over without another word, smiling lightly as he placed a hand on my shoulder, "I want you to meet Izumo." He said, gesturing towards the blonde, "This is Yuri - she's a strain who can go back in time. She tried to save Tatara and Mikoto, but even after she failed she still came to the bar to check up on us."
"I see." Izumo smiled, patting my head lightly, "I'm glad you did. Thank you, Yuri."
Ah, that type of thanks again...
"You're welcome to come back to the bar any time. I would love to get to know you... again."
We laughed lightly together, and I looked up at him with a sad smile.
"I never got to ask you. Are you okay? At least better, now?" I asked, and he hesitated.
"Yes, I'm better."
"You took it hardest, even though you hid it well."
"Thank you, but I'm okay."
"I'm glad."
"So, do you know what happens next?" Misaki asked, groaning as Izumo flicked him.
"Don't ask insensitive questions, Yata!"
"What?!"
"It's okay." I smiled, looking lovingly at Misaki, "I do. But I wont tell."
"What?! Why not?"
"It's okay, you'll all be okay. I promised Munakata I wouldn't be going back in time anymore, which means I should act like I don't know what's next, so no one else tries to alter the time line again like I did."
"Understandable, I guess."
"Yuri!" I jumped slightly, and turned to see an annoyed Saruhiko, "We're leaving."
I nodded, turning back to the red clan, "I'll come visit the bar." I said, I walked only a few steps towards Saruhiko before Misaki stopped me,
"Last time, you said goodbye like you'd never see me again."
I frowned, "Well... it does hurt a little bit, being around you. I just, I figured you wouldn't care if you saw me again or not."
"I'm not that much of an asshole!" He gaped, sighing as he loosened his grip on my wrist, "Just... don't say goodbye like that again. I don't know what it was like before, but this time, lets be friends?"
I felt frozen, I felt off. Because I'd gone back so many times and tried so many things with Misaki and not once, in all my efforts, had he come to me first. Why is all this happening now? Why is it, that Tatara's last words are so painfully true?
"Yeah. I'd like that."
"Great. See you around!"
I watched him go, giggling when he turned to look back at me. We waved it off and I finally turned back around when he was out of sight, wiping a stray tear from the corner of my eye. I took a deep breath, and walked back to the trucks with Saruhiko, the sun rising and brightening up the early morning sky.