Chapter 23

Finally. It had been 1 month since Merediths surgery, and she was going back today to work. "You sure your ready? You don't need any more time off?" Derek asked gently as they got ready.

"Der, I haven't cut anyone open in the last few months. I have basically 100% function. I'm okay." Meredith replied.

"Okay. You don't have to rush though." He said. 

"I'm not, trust me." She replied, kissing him softly.

•••

A little while later, Meredith, Derek, and Zola all got to the hosptial and dropped the baby off at daycare. "Welcome back, Grey. I assigned you a simple tumor removal to ease back in." Bailey said.

"Thank you. I'm gonna go check the board." Meredith replied, leaving Derek and Bailey.

"I arranged a gallery to watch in there and applaud her by the way." Bailey said, watching Meredith trot away. "She'll like that. Thanks Bailey." Derek said with a smile. "She's okay, right?" She asked.

"She says so, and I believe her. She has almost full function." Derek replied. "Good."

•••

Meredith quickly prepped for her surgery and scrubbed in, surprised when she saw her husband walk in. "Hey. What' re you doing?" She asked with a smile.

"Wishing my wife good luck. Good luck." Derek replied with a corny grin. "Thank you." She said softly. "Also...I wanted to give you this." He started, pulling his scrub cap out of his lab coat.

"Derek-"

"I want you to have this. It brings good luck."

"It's your ferryboat scrub cap Der, I can't." Meredith argued. Derek just smiled and pulled the scrub cap over her head and tied it. "You can do this. I know you can."

"Thank you." She whispered, hugging her husband tightly. "I love you so much Mer. Now go kick some ass in surgery." He said, cupping her cheeks and planting a kiss on her lips. "I love you too." She replied.

•••

Meredith entered the OR and a round of applauses filled the room. "Congratulations dr Grey!" Everyone said. Meredith smiled. "Thank you all." She said softly.

Meredith looked up to the gallery and saw all of best friends and family. Bailey, Cristina, Alex, Richard, and Derek.

"Alright everybody, let's begin. Scalpel." Meredith requested professionally.  The nurse handed her the scalpel and Meredith made the first cut, feeling more relaxed than ever before.

•••

"She's doing great. Stop worrying." Callie said, noticing Derek pacing slightly. "I know." He said. "Shepherd, sit down. She's almost down and your pacing is pissing me off." Bailey said sternly.

Derek may have outranked Bailey, but he still obeyed her, because to be honest, she scared him.

A little while later, Meredith finished her surgery and scrubbed out. "You did great!" Derek exclaimed as she left the scrub room, hugging her tightly. "I did it." She said in triumph. "You amaze me everyday." He whispered into her ear.

Meredith gasped suddenly and Derek pulled away. "You okay?" He asked in concern. "Feel." She said in shock as she grabbed his hand and placed it flat on her abdomen. "Oh Mer." He gasped.

"Baby's congratulating you. He knows." Derek whispered softly. "He?"

"Maybe. Oh my god." He exclaimed. "It's amazing." She agreed.

"What does it feel like?" He questioned.

"Guppies I guess. Or maybe bubbles. I don't know, it's amazing though." She admitted with a smile. "Our baby is growing." He whispered. "He's growing."

•••

At home, Meredith and Derek enjoyed their time together with Zola. It was like everything was back to normal.

"Still feeling good?" Derek asked as he cooked dinner while Meredith played with Zola. "Yeah. It doesn't hurt anymore usually. Everything's okay now, Derek. You can relax now." She said softly.

"I am relaxed-" he argued weakly.

"You aren't. You've been taking care of me ever since the crash and you haven't relaxed for more than 30 minutes at a time. It's over now. Like everything is back to normal. Please, relax Derek." Meredith said softly.

"Okay. I'll try." He said, walking over to his wife and daughter and hugging them both. "I love you guys. You too little one." He said, whispering on the last sentence.

•••

That night, Meredith and Derek laid together in bed. "You relaxed. I can feel it." She whispered as she rested her head on his chest. "I did." He admitted.

"I love you so much Mer. You're the strongest person I know." He said.

"I love you too Der. Thank you for sticking by my side through this whole thing." She replied. "110 in each other's arms, remember?"

"A lifetime."

Hey guys! Hope you all enjoyed this chapter and if you have any ideas for future chapters feel free to drop them. Honestly, I think I'm only gonna have 1 or 2 more chapters in this story. Hope your all doing wel