Chapter 19

Meredith woke up the next morning. Her arm was painfully sore, which she took as a good thing because that meant she could actually feel her arm.

"Hey." Derek said with a smile as he and Zola came in the room. "Mama!" Zola exclaimed happily as Derek gently put the baby in her lap. "How are you feeling?" He asked as she smoothed back her hair and kissed her softly.

"Sore. But okay." Meredith replied as she watched Zola lay down on her chest. "How's my...thatcher?" Meredith asked. "I checked on him earlier. He's fine, everything went well." Derek replied. "Okay." She said.

"Grey, how you feeling?" Bailey and Callie asked as they came in. "Good. A little sore." She replied as she rubbed Zola's back. "I'll get some more meds soon. But I need you to just flex your fingers really quick." Callie said with a smile.

Meredith sighed and did flex her fingers. "How's that feel?" Callie asked. "Not horrible. It feels like it's pulling a bit though." Meredith responded. "That's normal." Callie replied. "And how's little miss Zola over here?" Bailey asked with a uncharacteristic smile.

"Bail!" Zola said with a smile as she reached her arms out. Bailey lifted the baby into her arms and smiled. "How you doing honey?" Bailey asked. "Good!" Zola replied happily. "Wsnt me to take her to the daycare? Your father was asking to see you earlier." Bailey asked. "Uh, sure. That would be great. Thanks Bailey. Bye zo, we love you." Derek replied.

"You want me to bring Mr Grey in?" Callie offered. "Sure." Meredith replied with a shrug. Callie nodded and walked out the room. "You sure your okay?" Derek asked in his usual protective nature. "I'm okay Derek. Are you okay? You seem tense." Meredith asked softly as she ran her fingers through his thick black curls.

"I'm good. Just worried." He admitted. "You don't need to be. I'm good Derek." Meredith said as she pressed her lips against his. "I love you." She whispered. "I love you too." He replied.

Thatcher was rolled in by Callie and set near the two. "How are you?" He asked. "I'm good. Uh, everything went well. You?" Meredith replied. "Good. Everything went good too. Uh, Molly's coming soon and she'll help me get home." Thatcher replied.

"That's good. We can help too." Derek cut in with a smile. Thatcher nodded. "So will you be able to operate again?" Thatcher asked. "Assuming all goes well with recovery I should be able to." Meredith responded. "Good. I remember your mother couldn't go a day without operating." He said with a chuckle. "Your an attending now right?" He asked.

"I am." Meredith confirmed with a smile. "One of the best general surgeons we have." Derek said proudly. "I bet. Your mother was a great surgeon. But the difference is is that you can have a family and be a mother and wife." Thatcher said. Meredith cracked a smile at that.

They chatted for a while before Bailey returned with Zola. "Someone's a little fussy today. She wouldn't stop crying." Bailey said as she handed over the baby to Derek. Meredith frowned as Zola kept crying as Derek tried to calm her. "Give her." Meredith said softly.

Derek gently placed Zola in Merediths arms and him and thatcher both watched in awe as Zola visably calmed down, resting her head on her mother's chest while she whispered soothing words.

"She's out. I bet she didn't sleep well at Alex's last night." Meredith whispered with a smile as she rubbed her daughters back. "Probably not." Derek agreed. Thatcher watched the couple and felt guilty. What if Meredith grew up this way? Would she have had a happier and better life? Probably.

"You guys are good with her." Thatcher said softly. "Thank you." Meredith said with a smile. "You did good Meredith. I know you had a horrible childhood and I know I'm partly at fault. But you did good. Really." Thatcher said honestly. Meredith nodded and smiled. "Thanks." She said.

Thatcher was eventually brought back to his room, leaving Meredith, Derek, and a sleeping Zola. "You okay?" Derek asked gently. "I- yeah. I'm good." Meredith replied. "Okay." He replied. "Come here." She said softly.

"What?" Derek asked in confusion. "Come lay down. You're exhausted, I can tell." Meredith said as she carefully scooted over on the bed. "Mer, I don't want to hurt you." Derek argued weakly, desperately wanting to accept her offer and take his wife and daughter into his arms. "Please Derek? I miss sharing a bed with you." Meredith begged.

Derek sighed but nodded. He carefully climbed in beside his two favorite girls and Meredith situated herself so her head was resting on his chest, Zola still wrapped tightly in her arms. "We're all still alive Derek. Let's be happy about that and our little baby on the way." Meredith whispered, knowing her husbands fears. "I love you." She added. "I love you too." He replied.

Hey guys! Hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you have any ideas for future chapters feel free to drop them! Hope you're all doing well!