Chapter 16

Meredith paced around the hospital conference room nervously, waiting for thatcher to show up. She wouldn't put it past him to not show up at all. And Derek watched as she paced around. He knew what she was thinking.

He couldn't stand it anymore. Derek stood up and grabbed Meredith by the forearms. "Mer, sit down." He said firmly, yet softly. Meredith huffed but nodded, sitting in the chair. "He's gonna show up." Derek said.

"How did you-" "I know Mer. I know what you're thinking. And he will show up." Derek cut in gently. Meredith nodded. A knock at the door made them turn around and there came thatcher.

"Hi." He said nervously. "Hey." Meredith replied as Bailey came over. "Okay. Mr Grey, I'm gonna take some blood from you, okay?" Bailey asked. Thatcher nodded and sat down as Bailey prepped.

Meredith watched as Bailey inserted the needle and watched the blood flow out. Merediths knee tapped the floor nervously as she fiddled with her wristwatch. Derek put a calming hand on her knee and gave a smile.

"Okay. I'll fast track these to the lab. They should be back in about a half an hour." Bailey said as she left with the baggie. "Okay. Thanks Bailey." Meredith said softly.

"So uh, how's it going?" Thatcher asked awkwardly. "Not too bad. You?" Meredith replied. "Good. I'm glad my daughters are okay." He replied with a smile. Meredith inhaled and weakly smiled. Daughter. "How's uh....Zola?" Thatcher asked. Meredith and Derek smiled.

"She's good. She's a good Walker." Meredith said with a proud smile. Thatcher hasn't failed to notice Merediths eyes lit up at mention of her daughter. Ellis never did that. "That's great. I remember when you first took your steps. It was here, actually." Thatcher said.

They chatted for a little while before Bailey came back in with the results. "Mr Grey, you are a Match." Bailey said happily. "I-I am?" Thatcher stammered. "You are. Do you want to donate?" Bailey replied. "Yes." Thatcher said. "Okay. We'll, we need to get schedule this surgery and page Torres and Nelson to let them know." Bailey said.

"When do you want to do this?" Derek asked. "Uh, whenever." Meredith replied. "How about we go for next Tuesday? So in a week?" Bailey suggested as she looked between the two greys. "Sounds good." They both replied.

"I'll go schedule it." Bailey said. "Wait Bailey, can I talk to you for a second? Outside?" Meredith asked. Bailey nodded and led Meredith outside. "What is it?" She asked. "I- uh, I'm pregnant. I can still have the surgery, right?" Meredith stammered, watching as her former residents face turned to surprise.

"Congratulations Grey. And you should be fine with the surgery, it won't take too long. How far along are you?" Bailey asked curiously. "We aren't sure yet, my ob appointment is tomorrow." Meredith replied. "Okay. You should be okay during  the surgery. Congratulations again Grey. You deserve." Baileys said genuinely. "Thank you. But can you just...not tell anyone?" Meredith asked. "I won't tell Meredith." Bailey said softly.

The surgery was scheduled for a week from now and Callie and Nelson had been informed. Thatcher had gone home earlier. "Mer, how did it go?" Lexie asked curiously. "He's a match. Surgery is scheduled for next week." Meredith said with a smile. Lexie threw her arms around her sister and hugged her tightly.

"That's great Mer! Is dad still here?" She asked. "No. He left a little bit ago." Meredith replied. "Oh, okay. I'm here to see Callie. That's great again, Mer." Lexie said before slowly walking off.

Derek met up with Meredith with Zola in his arms. Zola reached for Meredith. Meredith took her in her good arm and propped the baby on her hip. "Ma!"  Zola said happily as she rested her head on her mother's shoulder.

"I told Bailey." Meredith said quietly as the family of three were walking out. "Told her...what?" Derek asked in confusion. "About the b-a-b-y." Meredith spelled out. Derek nodded in understanding. "Okay. Your OB appointment is tomorrow, right?" He asked. Meredith nodded as Derek got Zola settled into the car.

They all buckled up and drove home. "Today was a good day, huh?" Derek asked with a smile as he grabbed Merediths hand across the console. "Yeah, it was. And Bailey said it was safe to get the surgery." She replied. "That's good." He replied softly.

They got home and all went inside. Zola played happily on the floor of their living room while her parents watched adoringly. "Can you imagine having another little baby crawling around here?" Derek asked. "Derek, don't. It's-it's still early." Meredith said as she looked away. "I know Mer. Everything's going to be okay though." Derek replied with a sigh.

"Last time I miscarried around 8 weeks. I can't go through that again. I can't." Meredith said firmly. The miscarriage wasn't something the couple talked about. Meredith finally told him months after it happened, and that was it. But the scars Cut deep into Merediths heart, and it had affected her much more than she or Derek would ever have thought.

"I know." Derek repeated soothingly as he guided her head to rest on his chest. "I'm scared." She whispered. "That's okay, Mer. I'm scared too." Derek admitted. "It's gonna be okay, right?" She asked vulnerable. "It's going to be okay." Derek said reassuringly.

That night, Meredith and Derek laid in bed, Derek softly rubbing Merediths flat belly with their unborn baby.

Hey guys!! Hope you all enjoyed this chapter and if you have any ideas for future chapters feel free to drop them. Hope your all doing well!