Chapter 3

When the sun had risen the next day, Meredith and Lexie were the ones who slept. No one else did.

They were all exhausted. But it was safer if they didn't sleep. Meredith and Lexie were the worst out of all of them, so it made since that they had slept.

Derek was suddenly very aware of the small, hot body in his arms. "Mer?" He asked worriedly as he pressed the back of his hand to her forehead, finding it scorching hot. Meredith moaned and slightly opened her eyes. "Mer, can you hear me?" Cristina asked as she came over. "C-cold." She croaked.

"Damnit. I think she has an infection." Derek said concerned. "Lexie too." Mark said as he looked down at her. "Mer, Lexie, drink some water." Cristina said as she handed both of the guys a bottle. "Try to ration." She added.

Derek helped his wife drink water, which was not taken well by Meredith. "Der-" she said before vomiting all over herself. Derek turned her on her side so she wouldn't aspirate her vomit. "Easy Mer. You're okay." He said softly and worriedly. Once she was done, he tried again, and this time, the tiny amount of water he got her to drink stayed down.

Lexie seemed better off than Meredith, but Mark could tell she had a slight fever still. "Mark?" Lexie asked. "What is it sweetheart?" Mark asked worriedly. "I love you." She said with a faint smile. "I know. I love you too." He said as he held her closer.

"Arizona, how are you doing over there?" Derek asked. "Good. I'm bored of sitting but my back is still killing me." She said annoyed. "I know but it's for the best." Derek said with a sigh. "Cristina?" Derek asked. "I'm fine. Once we get back I'm getting the hell away from Seattle Grace Mercy Death." She said seriously.

"I'm perfect, if anyone was gonna ask." Mark said, getting a chuckle out of Lexie and everyone. Derek shifted slightly and Meredith let out a whimper at the movement. "I'm sorry." Derek said softly. It broke his heart to see Meredith this helpless and in pain.

Meredith took a deep breath in and exhaled shakily. "Mer? I know it hurts but I need you to try to move your arm. Or your fingers." Derek requested. "Now?" Meredith asked with a broken voice. "Please." Derek replied. Everyone watched in sadness as Meredith painfully lifted her arm up and cried out in pain.

Meredith sobbed and carefully cradled her arm against her chest once again and Derek held her close. "H-hurts." She whimpered. Derek tried to offer her as much comfort as possible, but nothing would help unless they so happened to find some morphine somewhere.

Everyone watched helplessly as Derek tried to comfort his wife. "You're okay Mer." Cristina tried. "Big Grey, your okay. We aren't gonna let anything happen to you." Mark said from his place with Lexie. Meredith nodded slightly and burrowed into dereks chest. "Wanna go home." She said weakly. "I know. We're gonna be home soon." Derek said with a sigh.

"Okay, we need to try to gather some food and stuff." Cristina said as she tore her eyes off of her best friend. "Uh, should I go alone or..." Cristina trailed off. "Lex, are you gonna be okay if I go look for some supplies?" Mark asked softly. "I'll be okay. I'm not going anywhere." She said with a smile. "Okay." He said as he gave her a quick kiss and slid out from behind her.

Mark and Cristina started walking, looking through the rummage that seemed to be endless. "Think Mer is gonna be okay?" Cristina asked. "We need to get out of here soon before that infection gets any worse. I don't...she won't be okay if we have to amputate." Mark replied.

"We can't amputate. They-they have a baby. She's a mom. She's a surgeon." Cristina said sadly. "It depends how bad the damage is. As a plastic surgeon, it looks bad, but I think she may be okay. But I'm not a neurosurgeon. The nerve damage could be extensive. I mean, she's in a lot of pain." Mark replied calmly.

"Ahah! Jackpot!" Cristina exclaimed as she found a surprisingly intact cooler with snacks and water. "Lexie always comes prepared." She said with a relieved chuckle. "She does. Let's get back. Meredith and Lexie need it as soon as possible." Mark said. She nodded and they walked back together.

Back at the campsite, Meredith was struggling to stay conscious, no matter how hard Derek tried to keep her awake. "Der...Sleep." She argued weakly. "Yoy can't sleep yet Mer. It's the safest thing to do." Derek replied softly. "Owww." Meredith cried when she accidentally moved and bumped her arm. "I know." Derek said sadly. "Zola's probably with Sofia right now at daycare." He said softly, trying to distract her. "Playing...with blocks." Meredith replied as she felt herself grow calmer.

Derek nodded. "And uncle Alex and auntie Arizona are probably watching them." He added gently as Mark and Cristina game back. "Jackpot." Mark said as he set down the cooler in front of Mer, Derek, Lexie, and Arizona. "6 water bottles, 6 packets of cheezits, and 3 apples." Mark said. "That's mine!" Lexie exclaimed. "Always prepared." He said with a smile.

They passed out the snacks, everyone sharing and rationing the best they could.

That night, the boys made a fire and once again, they huddled around it for warmth. The last thing they all saw before falling asleep was a bright light whirling towards them.

Hey guys!! Hope you enjoyed this chapter!!