Chapter 6

The night went by without problems. Mark and Derek slept peacefully, as did everyone else except Cristina , all exhausted from not sleeping for days.

Cristina was exhausted, but she couldn't bring herself to close her eyes. The fear of getting eating by an animal or the fear of the dark was too much for her. "Cristina, close your eyes plewse." Owen. Egged the night before." Cristina did not close her eyes, which made Owen make the decision to have her sedated, knowing that sleep deprivation was a serious thing.

Derek woke up first after a well needed sleep. "Good morning sleepyhead." Carolyn said as she looked up from her magazine. "Morning." Derek replied sleepily. "Meredith?" He asked. "Just checked on her. Her and Lexie are both still asleep." Carolyn replied. Derek nodded, and looked at Mark who just woke up.

"Hi." Mark grumbled. "Morning." Derek and Carolyn said. "Lexie?" He asked immediately. "She's good." Derek said. "Ah, Shepherd, Sloan, nice to see you two awake." Bailey said as she entered the room. "Nice to be awake." Derek snorted. "Let me guess, you two want to go to the Greys rooms?" Bailey asked knowingly.

The boys nodded. "Well, I already figured that and moved the girls to the 4 bed room a few doors down. Want me to move you boys?" She asked. "Please." Derek begged, anything to be closer to his wife. "Bailey?" Derek asked suddenly. "Yeah?" She asked. "How's Zola?" He asked. "She's good. Karev has watched her. She's in daycare right now." Bailey replied. Derek breathed a sigh of relief.

A few minutes later, some nurses helped move the boys to the conjoined room, Meredith and Derek on one side, Lexie and Mark on the other side. The perks of working at the hospital was that they got the good room, meaning that their families had a big couch to rest on.

Derek took the quiet time and studied his wife. She was still asleep, still intubated and looked much as she did last night. As he was looking at her, he looked up when he heard a choking sound. He looked up and met teary, green eyes looking around frantically. He got out of bed quickly without injuring himself and took her hand in his. "Easy Mer. It's okay. You're okay." He said softly as Bailey came in.

"Welcome back Grey." Bailey said with a smile as she checked her chart. "Let's get that tube out." She said as she and a nurse prepped for extubation. "1,2,3." Bailey said. Meredith let out a hacking cough and the tube flew out. Meredith tried to form words but they would not come out due to her dry throat. Bailey noticed this and held a cup to her mouth, Meredith took it slowly and sipped on the cool liquid.

"Der?" She croaked quietly. "I'm here. You're okay." Derek said as he pressed a kiss to her forehead. He knew his family was all watching him, but he didn't care. "Zola?" Meredith asked worriedly. "She's fine. She's in daycare." Derek replied. Meredith nodded slowly and her eyes wandered to her arm, which did hurt quite a bit. She hasn't yet noticed the 6 women staring at her yet due to her drugged state.

Meredith painfully flexed her fingers in the cast, relieved that she could move them. "Wha?" Meredith asked. She wasn't really coherent, but Derek understood. "You broke your arm, fingers, and hand. There was some nerve damage but you should regain full function after a few more surgeries and PT." Derek replied. Meredith nodded, absorbing all the information. "Are you okay?" She asked. "I'm good. Slight concussion." He replied.

She nodded again, that's when she noticed the women looking at her. Her eyes widened and she looked at Derek, who had a sheepish look on her face. "Hi Meredith." Carolyn said softly. "Hi Mrs Shepherd." Meredith said timidly. "It's Carolyn dear." She corrected softly. "Nice to..see you again." Mereditj said. "You too. These are my girls, Nancy, Lizzie, Kathleen, and Amelia." She said. The girls each have a half hearted hello and smiled.

Bailey cleared her throat, interrupting the family chat as Callie entered the room. "Hey Grey." She said with a smile. "Hi." Meredith replied. "We need to do a quick exam. Could you guys leave the room for a few minutes?" Bailey asked. The Shepherd woman nodded and hurried out.

Bailey did her tests first. "Your infection doesn't seem to have any lasting affects Grey. Your lucky." Bailey said. "Grey, can you lift up your arm? It's gonna hurt like hell but I need you to." Callie asked apologetically. Meredith nodded slowly, the drugs making her sleepier by the minute. Meredith slowly and very painfully lifted up her arm, like she did in the forest when Derek asked and inhaled sharply as she felt the pain intensify. Her arm shook as she held it in the air. "Okay Grey. Good job." Callie said as she helped ease the arm down.

"Nicely done Meredith. Get some sleep now." Bailey said as they both left the room. Derek kissed her forehead and was about to walk back to his bed when a hand stopped him. Meredith grabbed his shirt and held on. "What is it Mer?" He asked. "Lay with me." She said sleepily. "I don't want to hurt you." Derek said nervously. "You won't." Meredith replied as she slowly scooted over to the edge. Derek climbed in beside her. Meredith instantly curled into his chest and nuzzled her head into his neck. "Love you." She murmured. "I love you too." He whispered.

Hey guys!! So this chapter is very Merder centric, I'll probably make some future chapters about other survivors soon, but I love writing about merder. Hope you guys are doing well!!