chapter eleven - waiting

Today was the day! Maddie could barely contain herself as she got ready for the school. Her small amount of things were packed in a few boxes by the door ready to be picked up. Soon they'd all be in an airplane leaving for her new house! Saying that in her head sounded so odd! 'Her new house!' A shiver ran down Maddie's spine as the reality of finally being fostered by a nice person was starting to set in!  Seeing as Scarlett was arriving at around 4pm they had arranged for Maddie to go to school for the last time today. She knew she wouldn't be able to concentrate today but Scarlett had insisted she went. Something about still needing an education or something. Maddie rolled her eyes and giggled as she got her shoes on ready to leave.
The last few days had been a blur of paperwork, phone calls and excitement. She couldn't wait to start a new life with a whole new set of people who would eventually turn into family. Maddie didn't know much about Scarletts family except she had a twin brother. The thought having a twin seemed so cool! You could do everything together and you'd always be there for each other! However, Scarlett said that her family were scattered around the USA so they usually only see each other on special holidays. She had mentioned though that her parents were in LA for a bit so Maddie would get to meet them. Her first set of grandparents!

In school Maddie kept checking the time. 09:00. 11:16. 13:20. By fourth period she was ready to quit and go home. The anticipation was too much! Why was today going so slowly! For goodness sake time; she had places to be! People to see!
Finally the day ended. Maddie quickly rushed over to her Art teacher to say goodbye. In the three weeks Maddie had been at school she had only really connected with her art teacher. The others were all strict and bossy. However he had a kind spot for her. He was the only one Maddie felt like she could talk to. She quickly thanked him and wished him well for his life before rushing out the doors. Finally freedom!
Running down the side walk, she thought back to only a few days ago when she had been dragging her feet. Dreading going back to the foster house. But today was completely different. Maddie could see the sun shining. A cool breeze against her skin as she ran. And an occasional chirp of birds when she ran past a tree. Life was finally looking up for her. Rounding the corner she checked her watch. Three thirty. Scarlett would be here in half an hour!

Sprinting up the stairs, she hurtled through the door. Throwing her school bag on the floor. None of the other girls were home yet so she rushed into the bedroom and quickly got changed into more suitable clothing for the 5 hour flight. After getting changed Maddie didn't really know what to do. Her bags were packed. Her bed neatly made for the next girl to come along and occupy it. Sitting in the middle of the sunlit room she decided to put some music on and go and make some food. She had never been on a plane but assumed the food wasn't great.

Sticking on a bit of Lorde and queuing Billie Eilish, Maddie made her way to the living area. Avoiding the sleeping Ms Roberts she edged her way around the sofa to the kitchen. She'd surely have to wake up soon. Maddie couldn't just leave without Ms Roberts knowing. Popping a bagel in, Maddie quickly checked her phone for any update. Zero messages. She just assumed Scarlett was on the plane and not able to send any messages. As the toaster popped Ms Roberts snorted awake. Realising where she was and what time it was, she hurried into her bedroom to look presentable for Scarlett. Ms Roberts really didn't care what she looked like around some people. But wow around others. Full face of makeup. Full outfit. The whole lot. She was very fake. Spreading butter on her bagel, Maddie made her way back into her bedroom to wait.

Ten minutes passed.
Twenty.
Thirty.
But this time it was 4:15pm
Another half an hour.
The girls started arriving back from school.
5pm
Maddie felt herself curl tighter and tighter into a ball.
Why did she ever get her hopes up.
No one would want her.
And especially not Scarlett.
Why was she so dumb?
No one was coming.
It was obvious.