Welcome to my World

Start from the beginning

"Welcome to my world, Wisconsin," I smiled and then turned to one of the clerks, praying my family friend was at the track tonight, "Hi, is Mr. Daruty in tonight?"

"Yes, ma'am, can I ask why?" The clerk responded with a polite smile.

"Tell him that Katherine Hurley is here. He'll know who you're talking about" I smiled, excited to see the man who had watched me grow up until I moved to Arizona.

"Yes, ma'am," he smiled back as he picked up the phone to call Scott.

"So, how is this place your world?" JJ asked when I turned back around, seeming to resist the urge to hold me.

"I grew up here since my dad used to be the chaplain here before we moved back to Arizona," I shrugged, taking in everything going on around us.

"Katherine Hurley, is that you?" Scott Daruty questioned from behind me, making my heart warm.

I turned around with a smile as I saw my old family friend. Scott and my dad had been pretty close while we lived in Houston.

"Yes, Sir, it is," I responded, my accent coming out as I spoke, causing a smile to spread across his fatherly face.

"Good to see you again! How about I set you and your friend up in one of the sweets?" Scott asked as he hugged me and shook JJ's hand.

"That sounds good with me," JJ responded with a smile, excited for the experience.

"Follow me!" Scott exclaimed and walked towards the employee elevator with a big smile on his face.

As we stepped out on the third floor, a smile spread across my face. I could hear the shouting of spectators and could smell the alcohol in the air. It wouldn't be the races if it wasn't a loud, crazy environment.

"We don't have any rooms open, so you'll have to share one," Scott stated and showed us into the sweet that wasn't booked for a private party.

"This is fine. Thank you, Scott," I responded with a smile, not bothered by sharing a suite.

"Anytime, Katherine," Scott replied, giving me a kiss on the cheek and walked away to go back to work.

"So, who do I bet on?" JJ asked after hopelessly looking over the program, like a child learning to read for the first time.

I removed the program from his hand and glanced over it. Thank you, Auntie, for teaching me as soon as I learned how to read.