Reunions of The Embarrassing Kind

THE LEAVES PIERCED  HER FEET LIKE SHARPENED KNIVES WITH THE GREATEST VENDETTA AGAINST HUMAN FLESH.  HER BLOOD, SOAKED  THE GROUND BENEATH HER

The pain was unbearable and yet, she trudged onward, against her barefooted feet begs and pleas. 

The moon shone in all her iridescent glory. Streams of liquefied silver, bathed her  figure and the trees around her  in complete light. The look of glimmering ichor coursing through the woman's veins.

Her eyes glossed over in a haze of blurriness. Her parted  lips ,  dry and cracked fissures of dead skin sewn together with the licks of her tongue, the saliva,  the  makeshift glue.

The white silk of her night dress was ripped at the bottom, jagged strips of the soft fabric clung to the strips of bark as she walked on. 

It was pitch black, her hands stumbled through the darkness, fumbling into nowhere as she moved. Her arms stretched out in front of her and-

A cold bruised  hand griped her warm flesh. Long talon-like nails clung to her skin and pulled.

She pushed against them.

The cold hand continued to grasp her. It had no visible body  but darkness, its grip deathly cold and raking her skin.

A blood curdling scream cut through the air like a double edged sword.  The heavy set smell of smoke dragged across the forest.

The birds crooned and shook the branches, flying away.

*****⨇*****

Alifa gasped in her bed. 

She clutched her throat tightly, her gasps for hair loud and unordered. Her breathing completely disorderly.  Her other hand went to her chest, the feeling of it moving rapidly. Her heart thrummed with unsteady  palpitations of the most erratic kind.  

She didn't know how long she remained in that position, arms at heart and throat. The only semblance of time was the repeated phrase in her mind over and over.

I can do all things through Christ,  I can do all things through Christ, I can do all things through Christ, I can do all things through Christ, I can do all things through Christ....

Breathe, breathe,  breathe, breathe... my goodness breathe for goodness sake!

She slapped herself.

The shock of her hand calming her. 

Slowly her breath slowed, gradually decreasing. 

The palpitations quieter.