A Diverging Border

Start from the beginning

Arthur turned suddenly. "If you don't care then why are you still following me?!"

She shrugged. "I just wanted to let you know that I will be accompanying you for a portion of your journey."

"WHAT?!"

She narrowed her eyes at him. "Don't look too happy about it," said sarcastically. "You happen to be making your way past my father's grave. It's been a while since I've visited and your father thought it would be the perfect opportunity."

"I doubt that."

She smiled wickedly. "You're right. It was my idea and it took a lot of convincing." She stopped. "Ummm.... Arthur?"

"What?"

She gestured to a door to her left. "Aren't you going to your chambers?"

Arthur looked at the door. "Oh... yes." He retraced his steps.

"Anyway..." Morgana continued. "All I've seen for months are these citadel walls. I'm going to go mad if I don't get out and do something."

Arthur watched Toby hurry around the room, tidying things and preparing a bath.

"How about you just go for a walk around the lower town... pick some flowers... I don't know... whatever girls do."

She folded her arms. "Well... this girl is going to visit her father's grave. Which means I'm coming with you."

"Fine."

"Fine." She made her way back to the open door. "See you tomorrow then."

Arthur let out a breath as the door closed behind her. "Good god!" he flopped down on his bed. "Can you believe her?!"

"Sire?"

"The simple audacity! It's like she doesn't even respect the fact that I'm a prince!"

"I'm sorry, my Lord, I hold all nobles in a very high regard."

"She may be beautiful but she's incessant!"

The servant poured a few pitchers of water into the large tub. "If you'll excuse me, Sire, I must refill these."

"Be quick, I'm exhausted," Arthur said as he stretched his arms and legs.

"Of course, my Lord!"

"I want you ready to go tomorrow. Early. Make sure my armor is polished and my provisions are packed."

"Right away, Sire!" Toby said as he slipped through the servants entrance.

---+---

Arthur's cape rustled as he sat atop his horse. He could tell the gentle morning wind would evolve into something more. He looked up nervously at the overcast sky.

"Sir Leon!" he called across the courtyard. "Are you worried about the rain?"

"No, my Lord!" he shouted back. "We ride no matter the weather!"

Arthur shifted to get comfortable in his saddle as he glanced back at Morgana. She stood near her maidservant, Gwen. "You hear that, Morgana!" She looked up at him. "It's going to rain! Maybe you'd best remain here!" She whispered something into Gwen's ear, a comment that made them both laugh. Arthur rolled his eyes and signalled his horse to trott towards the gate. It wasn't only that he would be subjected to Morgana's temperament for a good portion of the journey, he knew it was going to be his job to make sure she didn't get hurt. If something happened to her Arthur knew his father would blame him. Arthur would blame himself as well.

Their journey was slow going as some of them did not ride on horseback. 'Too many men riding might be suspicious,' Leon had said. Arthur agreed. As much as he would have liked to speed up their pace, it would have been too obvious.

By dusk they had reached the sight of Gorlois' grave. Arthur watched from afar as Morgana knelt in grief and Gwen put a comforting hand on her shoulder.

Leon approached him from behind. "I think it would be a good idea to make camp for the night. In the morning we can continue on our way."

Arthur nodded.

"There is one thing I would like to discuss with you. Something I hadn't thought of before."

This peeked Arthur's interest. "Alright."

The knight pulled out a map and spread it out over a rather large stone. He pointed to a place on the border. "There's a place here, a ridged forest. The exact border between Camelot and Essitir along this place is still debated. This means there are technically two borders through these woods. One that favors Camelot and one that favors Essitir. I want to cover both. I'm thinking of splitting the group in two and I would like you to lead the other half."

Arthur's face lit up. "Of course!"

Leon smiled. "Good. You mustn't inform your father though. I'm not sure he would approve of this choice."

"My lips are sealed."

"Good. Good." He looked back to the map. "You'll take your men along this path, the inner border. It is the safer border as according to all maps in Camelot, it still resides within our lands. I'll take my men along this path, the outer border. Because you are technically taking the safer path the Lady Morgana will be accompanying you."

Arthur raised his eyebrows. He knew it was too good to be true. "I thought we were sending her back to Camelot in the morning."

Leon bit his lip. "That was the plan, but since I've decided to split the group up, I can't afford to lose any men as her escorts."

Arthur nodded as he let out a disgruntled sigh. He could deal with Morgana. After all, he was going to lead his first patrol! He saw Morgana and her servant making their way back to the group of knights. 

"I can't imagine that you'll run into any trouble, but if you do please remember your training. The men can sense if your confidence wavers. You must maintain control. If they sense your fear, they will be more inclined to disobey an order."

Arthur nodded. "Thank you, Sir Leon." The knight nodded in return and headed off in the direction of his tent. The prince looked behind him where he saw Toby setting up his own tent. "Hurry up, will you!"

"My apologies, Sire! I'll be as quick as I can!"

Arthur sighed as he walked towards Morgana to explain the plan. He couldn't wait to see the look on her face when he told her she would have to obey his orders.