18

"Cabin 2." Mark whispered, pushing open the door to the tiny building. Placing his bags on the floor, he observed the empty room in front of him.

His roommate hadn't arrived yet.

When the Canadian had opened his paper, he was honestly just the tiniest bit disappointed at the name he found.

Don't get him wrong, there was nothing wrong with Renjun, he was just hoping for a specific someone else.

But it seems like fate just wasn't on his side today.

Yes, he was disappointed, but he refused to admit that to anyone, including himself. He just continued to tell himself that this space between them was good and necessary, without actually believing it.

But when he had made that eye contact with Donghyuck on the bus, his heart had done something, and he began to question if what he was doing was right.

How desperately he wanted to tear down the wall he was building, but he did not want to be hurt again.

So right then and there on the bus he had made a deal with himself. He was going to try his very best to avoid Donghyuck this weekend.

Even though that was the smart thing to do in this situation, it was the last thing Mark wanted to do.

"It's for the best." The Canadian mumbled to himself, picking up his bags once again to move them.

All he had to do now was avoid Donghyuck for three days.

Three days.

He could do this.

Hearing the door quietly open behind him, Mark turned around to face his roommate. "Hey Renj-"

Seeing who was actually standing at the door, the Canadian fell silent, both boys just simply staring.

The tan male in the doorway should have taken this quiet time to apologize, but all the words flew from his mind. Instead, he awkwardly shoved his suitcase in, looking at the floor. "H-Hello."

Now having a hard time functioning, Mark just stared back. "Where's Renjun?"

This was supposed to be easy! He was supposed to barely even see Donghyuck this weekend, not be stuck in a tiny cabin with him!

Surprised by the sudden question, Donghyuck fumbled with his answer, making something up on the spot. "Uhh... he wanted to trade! Some complaint about my cabin being bigger or something."

Seeing the suspicion in the older's eyes, the melanin skinned continued. "I didn't want to switch once I heard who I would be sharing the cabin with, but Renjun insisted."

Dear heavens, why did he say that?

Donghyuck didn't mean it in the slightest, but seeing the older's incredulous gaze made him panic and it just kind of slipped out.

As Mark turned around to pick up his suitcase, Donghyuck took the unwatched opportunity to hit himself.

"Well don't worry," The Canadian whispered, clearing his throat. He stayed turned away so the other boy wouldn't be able to see the hurt on his face. "I won't bother you at all this weekend. It'll be like I'm not even here."

After a quick, wordless discussion of deciding rooms, Mark took his possessions into his own tiny space.

Although both boys had their own rooms, they resembled the cabin in that they were miniscule and cramped. There was room enough for a small and squeaky bed, and a short wooden dresser.

After placing his items where he wanted them, Mark sighed, laying back on the rickety old bed.

There was that feeling again. That ever so familiar feeling that he always got around Donghyuck.

Heartbreak.

For a second he actually thought things were changing. He thought that the tan boy actually came here for him, but once again, he was wrong.

Now he really wasn't getting his hopes up for this weekend.

Now it would be even easier for him to avoid Donghyuck without feeling any remorse.

Everything was working out now, except for one fact.

They were still roommates.

Now they would always have to be in close proximity with each other. Always just a few feet away, even if they were separated by the thin cabin walls.

All the while, Donghyuck would probably be irritated with him, and Mark would be depressed, wishing things were different.

It was much too late now to change cabins. There was no escaping.

Three days.

He can't do this.