Rewritten "Prolouge" Preview

Hi, ya'll. It's been forever since I've opened this book. I started this book in middle school, and now I'm getting ready to graduate high school and go to college in the fall.

I decided maybe I could try rewriting everything since I no longer have a middle school brain. So I rewrote the prologue as a test run.

I am looking for good and bad feedback, so don't hold back, okay. Please tell me if you prefer this version or the older one.

Here it is.

The Same Story, but Different

Meet the New Introduction

Chamberland street was like any other. It was the main road of The Gardens, a generic neighborhood located in a nothing remarkable city of New Mexico. Chamberland was a long road that led into a more oversized cul-de-sac. Fence to fence were tiny houses, and right smack in the middle was the largest house on the block. Unlike all the other conventional buildings, this house stood out, and you could tell that the family that lived inside was eccentric at best. The house deemed number 20-6 was two stories and was unkempt. The house was a strange shade of faded purple and looked like it needed a fresh coat of paint. The windows were grimy, and you could barely see anything through them. Not that you would be able to anyway; the curtains were always drawn shut.

But every once in a while, you see one of the curtains open just a smidge. If you look hard enough through the icky glass, you could see tiny hands opening the curtains and little eyes taking a peek. The small child didn’t come to the window often, in fear of getting caught. But if she was lucky enough, she could see someone mowing their lawn or kids playing outside. She longed to join them. But she couldn’t. For reasons that seemed over her head, her parents didn’t want her outside. The backyard was an exception, but the hedge is so high it was like she was stuck in a fortress. 

She has tried to scale the hedge a couple of times, but given that she only had fifteen minutes of “recreational downtime,” as her mother calls it, she never had enough time to get more than six feet off the ground. Heaven knows what would happen if she ever actually got caught. But she was too smart to get caught...sometimes.

Today, (Y/n) had gotten her parents to give her five more minutes than usual. 
“Momma, I’m going outside now!” (Y/n) called out to her mom, hoping that her mother will give her the extended time as promised.

“Okay, dear. Be back inside in twenty minutes.” Her mom yelled back from the kitchen.

(Y/n) smiled to herself and went through the sliding doors to the backyard. She had been planning her escape two weeks prior and was ready to put her plan into action. She made a deal with Rileen, the girl who lived on the other side of the hedge wall, to throw over the rope she had given Rileen the day before when she signaled for it.  Rileen’s family had moved in three weeks before she came up with her plan, and (Y/n) knew her parents hadn’t had time to “greet” Rileen’s family. “New Neighbor” Greetings usually consisted of some variation of the following speech:
“Hi, how are you?”
 “We live in the house right next to yours.” 
“We have two kids who we home school, and we would like for you not to distract them.” 
“Please refrain from being too loud or distracting so that our kids can study in peace.”
“You don’t have to worry about us either, and if you hear any loud noises, it’s probably because our kids are doing experiments to supplement their studies. You know, like baking soda volcanoes and soda-mento rockets, and such. No real lava or explosives and such. So pay no mind if you hear anything that sounds like real lava or explosives. They’re just children’s toys.”
“Oh! You have kids as well? Well then. I’m sure they’re lovely, but we do not plan to host or attend any playdates or birthday parties. Our kids are always busy with study.”