chapter two - a familiar voice

As Maddie ran, her head was filled with thoughts. What was she going to do? Where should she go? The foster house is too far away and you'd have to run through Central Park! That's what got you in trouble to begin with!
From the brief education she had got from her shitty school Maddie remembered that you should look for shops to go into or knock on the door of someone's house and take refuge for a few hours.
She slid to stop on a corner to catch her breath. Looking around she realised nearly all shops were closed.
"Of course they are! It's 11pm. What gonna be open at this hour?"
She racked her brain for any other option. The next option was to knock on someone's door. She hated the thought of being an inconvenience to anyone but in this moment it seemed like the only option.
Maddie started running again, looking for a block of apartments that had any sign that people were awake. After a good ten minutes of searching for a house, she heard the men closing in on her. She could see them at the end of the street. They were getting closer. Maddie needed to find somewhere quick.
Turning onto the next street she saw a house. Light spilled out from the bottom apartment and the house itself looked like something out of fairy tale.
Whoever lived there was lucky!
She sprinted up the front steps and looked for a doorbell. She could only see one. And it was one of the fancy ones that you can talk into.
"Wtf. It's a whole house!"
Maddie had expected a block of apartments but this beautiful building was a whole house! Whoever lived here was VERY lucky.
Hearing the men running down the road, Maddie quickly rung the doorbell. A ding was sent out and suddenly she heard a voice coming through the middle of the doorbell.
A familiar voice spoke "Hello. Johansson residence this is Elizabeth speaking"
Maddie's words come out in a tumble of gibberish. After running flat out for half an hour she was struggling to breath yet alone speak.  "Hello...sorry...inconvenience...men following me and...I need...a place to..stay for an hour...or so...until...they go"
The voice replied in a confused but warm tone. "So. From what I gathered from your gibberish is that some men are chasing you. Correct? And you need somewhere to lay low for an hour or so?"
"Yes. That's correct. I'm very sorry if it's an inconvenience I just didn't know what else to do"
"No no. Please don't apologise! I'll come and answer the door now!"
Maddie turned around and could see the men across the street. They were watching her. They waited for a car to drive past and they slowly started advancing towards her.
"No no no please no. Please" Maddie whispered under her breath. "Please no. Please"
The men came closer and closer. They were now at the bottom of the path opening the gate. Maddie turned around and just in time the front door flew open and Maddie almost fell into the foyer.

Hi! Both chapters so far are pretty short and a bit slow. But it's going to start picking up in the next chapter. Also the voice through the doorbell. That's Elizabeth Olsen! She staying with Scarlett for a few days :)
I hope you're enjoying it so far :).
M xox