Chapter 14

Hayden's POV

Three Years Ago- Three weeks before "The night"

"Yo! Your parents goin' out of town for your birthday again?" my best friend Landon asked.

"Yeah, a whole week this year." If I'm being honest, I would rather have parents that cared enough to be home on my birthday. I was born a couple of days after their first wedding anniversary and they would rather celebrate that than their only child's birthday. It does allow me to throw a crazy party every year.

"So, three Saturday's from now? Spread the word." I shook my head.

"No, Sunday." Landon stopped walking and looked at me like I was crazy.

"Are you kidding? You do realize if you have it on Sunday, half the people will show up and they'll leave early?" I shrugged my shoulders.

"It's really the only option Lan."

"Why is Saturday not an option?" My jaw dropped. My best friend can be an ignorant ass at times, but this is a new low.

"Are you kidding?" He just stared at me, "Dude, Saturday is Kallie's birthday. You know your baby sister, did you seriously forget about it? I may be an ass, but I'm not having my party on her birthday." He waved me off and started walking.

"She's having a sleepover with her friends. She'll do it on Friday, then Saturday is free." I took a minute to think about it.

"Are you sure she's ok with it?" I need to make sure she's ok with it because I never want to do something to hurt Kallie, she's too important.

"Yeah, of course. Besides, 18 is far more important than 15. You actually have a chance of having a memorable party. You are having your party on Saturday." I sighed.

"Ok, if you're sure." He smirked.

"I'm positive, now I have to go. Later." I sighed, I really hope Kallie is actually ok with this.

++++++++++++

That Night

The party was in full swing. Everything was as it should be, but all I could think about was Kallie. Landon said she was ok with me having my party today, but it still feels wrong. totally wrong. I should have at least offered to have a double party or something.

"HAYDEN YOUNG!" My eyes widened, that was not a happy yell. I looked up and saw none other than the birthday girl.

"Hey, Little Miller, I didn't realize you were here." Suddenly a frown overtook her beautiful face.

"It's my birthday." I smiled hoping it would make her frown go away.

"I know, Happy birthday. What are you doing here? Landon said you were staying home." Her frown instantly disappeared. It was replaced with the hardest glare she could muster.

"You ruined my birthday party!" My eyes widened, "I figured I would try to have fun and not let this be the worst birthday ever."

"How did I ruin your party? Landon said it was yesterday." I saw her eyes tear up and I started to panic. I asked Landon if he was sure about her party being yesterday half a dozen times. He assured me it was.

"Nope, it was tonight and thanks to you no one showed up. They are all here." She turned away trying to hide the tears I knew were spilling and I felt like the world's biggest jackass.

"Kallie?" I said softly and when she turned back to me, the tears were gone. She's pissed.

"I am so mad at you! This was supposed to be my special day. It's my birthday, not yours, but just like everything else in my life, you ruined it." Ouch, getting my heart would have hurt less.