Ch. 62: A threat or a favor?

Start from the beginning

"I just picked it up from the floor," she said innocently, as if any of us would believe her. It seemed as though everything she said and did made time stand still, and everything felt cold and frightening. And this wasn't only my anxiety spinning its crazy mind web. Even DeeVana was terrified. She kept staring at mom's butcher knife and probably contemplated if she would be able to jump forward fast enough to grab it before Veronica did. But it seemed like Veronica had decided to leave.

"You're welcome."

I heard DeeVana curse through her teeth, but she didn't move. Instead we just watched as Veronica turned and started walking towards the main door. Then she stopped in her actions, and I thought of the possibility of her having more weapons. But she just stood there without looking back.

"Oh, and by the way. You can say hello to Mr. Policeman and tell him there was no forced entry, no fighting or even an argument, and I actually did you a favor by picking up your cutlery, and I'm now leaving in peace."

She raised a hand, and I was sure it was a gun. But it was only her fingers circling the air when she made some strange kind of salute.

"So long, Mia."

Then she left without closing the door.

<><><>

For a long time we stood there, shifting between staring at the door and the knife, half expecting Veronica to jump back into the doorway and tell us everything was some kind of twisted prank. Both of us knew way too well that it wasn't.

"That's the sickest... Who the hell was that?" DeeVana whispered, and finally dared to move. But she grabbed the knife from the counter and held it up, ready to defend herself if something happened. Luckily it didn't, but I seemed to be unable to relax even after she'd locked both the main door and the door to the backyard, and closed the drapes on all of the windows. If Veronica wanted to get in now, she'd have to break her way through.

"Mia?" DeeVana asked, and her concern was clear as a day.

"Did you hear me? Who's that girl? Do you know her?"

She put on the kettle to make me some tea, which she knew sometimes helped me to calm down. And while she waited for it to boil, she led me over to the couch in the living room.

"You're safe now, sis. We'll call the cops too. I just need to know who she is and why she was here. Did you let her in?"

I shook my head.

"No."

"Then how...?"

"I don't know. She's..."

What should I tell her? I didn't know anything about her other than...

"Veronica."

"Her name is Veronica?"

I nodded and swallowed the dryness in my throat. It felt good when my body started to obey my orders again. It felt like I just had a panic attack, but instead of freaking out, hyperventilating and that shit, I just froze and was unable to move.

"She's Michael's chef."

"She works for Michael?" DeeVana asked and raised her brows so far up that her forehead wrinkled.