Infection

Ivy and Jackson greet the CDC workers before leading them to the O.R.s. They share a look and take deep breaths before heading to meet the rest of the board in a lounge.

She holds her stomach, it having felt off for the past few days as Derek says, "We are throwing Bailey under the bus."

"Come on. That is not what we're doing," Jackson argues with him.

"Yeah, it seems like that's exactly what we're doing," Callie shakes her head.

Ivy argues, "Two patients are dead because of the same post-op infection with a third hanging on. The only thing that is common is this hospital and Bailey. We can't figure this out and protocol said get C.D.C. here. So we did."

Meredith looks at her sister-in-law, "By treating Bailey like a criminal? She hasn't done anything."

Jackson starts to say, "I hope-"

Ivy interrupts him, "We know. I keep racking my brain. I mean, Baileys worked here and performed surgeries here longer than any of us. This has never happened before. Only two things have changed in her life: she got married and the hospital went through a lot of changes."

"And all that has happened is the C.D.C. asking us to temporarily freeze Baileys files and that we not discuss this investigation with her. So today, just keep your distance," Jackson tells them.

"That is ridiculous."

Jackson ignores that, "Also I think nows the time to put out a statement."

Everyone disagrees as Ivy speaks up, "Come on, Jackson. We talked about this, putting out a statement is getting ahead of this but we don't know what this is. We have to know everything before we say the wrong thing."

Everyone in the room watches as the couple argue it out, "If one of ours is at fault and we just sit on this information, we look like we're trying to cover something up. The only way to let the public know that we can be objective is by being transparent."

"As I said last night when we had this same discussion, we can't make a statement with half-assed information. We don't need to be transparent with the public. Just with the families of the patients," Ivy tells him.

"They should hear it from us. Not by seeing the C.D.C. walking into our hospital."

Callie jumps in, "Well, if you hadn't called them, they wouldn't be here."

"Shush. Look, we are not making a statement. We are not doing a press release until we have more information or at least some news besides two patients being dead. So, we will cooperate with what the C.D.C. has asked of us. All of us," Ivy tells the group.

They all nod in agreement as Jackson sighs.

○○○○

April and Ivy stand in the E.R. as Jackson walks up to them, "Tell me there is someone I can help down here. It's six against one with the board today, and I need a victory."

Ivy leaves Callie to talk with April as she pulls Jackson to the side, "Come on. You know this is the right call."

"Yes, I know. I'm just being a little bitter."

"Alert the press," Callie sasses to Jackson before turning and walking away.

"Hey, be an adult for like five seconds. Because remember, Jackson and I can veto the funding that you want for your cartilage lab. Now go, you have patients to see," Ivy tells Callie.