Lecture Day

"Lecture day? Why do we have to be here again?" Jackson asks.

April shushes him, "Because Dr. Shepherd said we did."

Jackson scoffs, "Oh, well if Dr. Shepherd said."

"Be nice. Thats my brother." Ivy warns, sneaking up behind her friends.

They all jump, "Jeez, where did you come from?"

"You're a doctor, you would think that you know that answer." Ivy teaches Charles.

"Good morning! I'm excited. Are you excited? This is a uh, teaching hospital. We learn a lot by doing. We can also learn- we should also learn from other peoples experiences. Their losses, will save you losses. Their mistakes will save you mistakes. Their victories will inspire yours. Lets pay close attention. This is gonna be good. Dr. Miranda Bailey," Derek introduces, leading us all in clapping.

She walks up to the stage, "Good morning everyone."

She sighs, then throws a wadded up piece of paper at Cristina, hitting her in the face, "Ow."

"Morning Dr. Yang." She then throws a pen to her.

"What the..."

"If I have to stand here, you have to listen. Eyes forward. Answer a question right, you get a chocolate. Doze off, you get beaned in the face. Ask Dr. Yang, my aim is exceptional. 2003... I'm three days into my intern year..." Bailey starts.

Ivy sits up straight, ready to earn a chocolate. Jackson laughs and leans toward her, "You're like a little puppy begging for a treat."

"You're just mad that I will probably get one while you won't."

○○○○

Callie is now up there, setting up but shes shaking.

"Whats going on with Torres?" Reed wonders.

Ivy slaps her knee, "Shes nervous. She hates public speaking. I heard an earful when I got here about how much she hates my brother."

Suddenly, a picture of her and Arizona comes up. People in the audience start to laugh. Callie quickly fixes it and turns with her flashcards.

Queitly, she starts, "In my third year as a resident, I was,-"

"Can't hear you!"

"Speak louder please!"

She starts again, louder this time, "In my third year as a resident, I was presented with a patient named Sunder Atluri, a 28 year old grad... student from India." She was shaking.

Ivy felt bad then she heard Charles and Jackson trying to stifle their laughs. She hit their legs, "Enough, she is trying, don't act like you wouldn't struggle a little bit too."

○○○○

They were waiting for the next lecturer when Webber came through the curtains. Everyone murmurs to each other.

"Uh. Good-good morning. Once upon a time, long before I was Chief of Surgery, even before I was an attending, I was a resident right here at Seattle Grace, just like you. You learn from everything in your residency- the patients, the nurses, the attendings. But you don't realize how much you learn from each other. 1982. You were all in diapers." Webber tells.

He pauses a minute, then continues, "Dr. Ellis Grey. Two-time Harper Avery Award winner and my colleague on this case- a case that changed my life. Look around. The biggest influences in your life are sitting next to you, right now. The late Dr. Ellis Grey was known as a groundbreaker, a lion. She was the best this hospital or most hospitals had ever seen. But back then she was known as Sugar or Nurse or nothing at all"