Serpents

Hope POV

The next day Harry is out of the hospital wing with his arm as good as new. At the moment we are all in the unused girls bathroom brewing the Polyjuice potion while Harry recounts everything Dobby the house elf told him.
"Again? So the Chamber of Secrets has been opened before?" Hermione asks him. "Of course. Don't you see. Lucius Malfoy must have opened it when he went to School here and now he's told Draco how to do it" Ron says and I roll my eyes as I help Hermione with the potion. "Maybe. We'll have to wait for the Polyjuice potion to know for sure" Hermione says as she sprinkles laced flys wings in the potion. "Enlighten me. Why are we brewing this potion in broad daylight, in the middle of a girls lavatory? Don't you think we'll get caught?" Ron asks. "No. No one ever comes in here" I say. "Why".
"Moaning Myrtle" Hermione says. I've only ever met this ghost once and she has some serious mental issues that she needs to work through. "Who" Ron's asks.  Behind him she appears, looking rather annoyed. "Moaning Myrtle" I repeat. "Who's moaning Myrtle" he asks, which only angers the ghost more. "I'm Moaning Myrtle" she snaps from behind him. Both boys spin around quickly while I hold back a laugh. The ghost then soars over our heads and hovers over the sinks. "I wouldn't expect you to know me. Who would ever talk about ugly, miserable, moping, Moaning Myrtle" she says. She the let's out a sad and very loud shriek and dives into one of the toilets. "She's a little sensitive" Hermione point out. "A little" Ron asks. She just gives him a 'shut up' look. We continue brewing the position for the rest of the day before turning in for the night.
The next day is Sunday and the oh so dreaded Dueling Club led by Lockhart. Hermione, Ron, and Harry insisted I sign up with them and after all my protesting, Hermione signed me up herself and by the time I went to take my name off, the sign up sheet was already taken down. So here we are in the Great Hall where several tables are pushed together to make a stage.
"Gather round! Gather round!" Lockhart calls out. I consider just walking out right then and there but someone suddenly drags me by my arm. I see it's Harry and I roll my eyes before I rip free and start off in the other direction but it's hard with the crowd and suddenly two arms pick me up from behind and carry me over to Hermione and Ron. As he sets me down I refuse to look at him. "Oh come on Hope" he says and don't say anything. They are traitors. I watch as Lockhart hops onto the stage and everyone faces to the edge to get a good look, including Harry and Ron, so I am obviously dragged by Hermione this time. "Can everybody see me? Can you all hear me?" He asks and no one responds which seems to be what he is looking for. I fold my arms over my chest and huff in annoyance. The man is dressed in an extravagant dueling outfit with a one arm cape. He's ridiculous if you ask me. "In light of the dark events of recent weeks, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little dueling club. To train you all up in case you ever need to defend yourselves. For full details see my published works" he smiles oddly then removes his cape and tosses it to the back of the crowd where the girls fight over it and I scrunch my face up in disgust. "Let me introduce, my assistant. Professor Snape" he says. Everyone's head whips around to face the end of the stage. Snape appears in his normal state of absolutely bored. I just can't wait to see Lockhart get knocked on his ass. "He has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration. Now I don't want any of you youngsters to worry. You'll still have your potions master when I'm through with him. Never fear" he says and I look over at Snape. I send him a quick nod which he seems to take into account. I watch as the two get into their fighting positions. Once they've bowed to each other they both turn around and walk a few paces away and whip back around quickly to face each other again. "One, two, three" Lockhart. Punts and before he can get out a spell Snape is already casting one. "Expelliarmus" he yells out. Light erupts from his wand and hits Lockhart straight in the chest and everyone laughs when the DADA Professor is blasted backwards, landing straight on his ass. "Do you think he's alright" Hermione asks, pure worry etched into her voice. "Who cares" I ask laughing a little and Hermione glared at me and I send her a fake smile.
"An excellent idea to show them that Professor Snape, but if you don't mind me saying, it was pretty obvious what you were about to do. If I had wanted to stop you, it would have been only too easy" Lockhart says. Yeah right. I have a feeling that this guy hasn't done anything he said he did in his books except tell himself how pretty he is.
"Perhaps it would be prudent to first teach the students how to block unfriendly spells" Snape says. Ha! Jokes on him I already know how with my magic and that's all I really need but I guess I still am hiding my identity soooo. "An excellent suggestion Professor Snape, uh, let's have a volunteer pair. Ugh, Potter" he starts and looks at me but the glare I send him makes him turn to Ron. "Weasley" he says and as they take two steps forwards Snape butts in. "Weasleys wand causes devastation with the simplest spells. We'll be sending Potter to the Hospital wing in a match box. Might I suggest someone from my own house. Malfoy" he says. Malfoy and Harry get on the stage and walk towards the center. They stop before each other. "Wands at the ready" Lockhart calls. "Scared Potter" Malfoy asks. "You wish" Harry says. With that they lower their wands and walk the few paces away from each other and once they are far enough away they whip around and face each other. "On the count of three, cast your charms to disarm your opponent. Only disarm. We don't want any accidents here" Lockhart says sternly. Yeah no kidding. "One, two-" "Everte Statum" Malfoy yells early, sending Harry flying back (flipping over in the air many times) before falling on his side. Harry stand up, clearly angry. "Rictumsempra" he yells and sends Malfoy flipping through the air. Snape yanks Malfoy to his feet. "I said disarm only" Lockhart yells at them. "Serpensortia" Malfoy yells and a snake flys out of the tip of his wand. My breath catches in my throat. It reminds me of the Snake I choked out after my Dad came back to the church without my mom. I feel like I'm there again. I can't breathe. Things are spinning now. "Hope are you okay" I hear Hermione ask me. This brings me back into reality. I look around and everyone is staring at Harry, scared. Snape steps forwards. "Vipera Evanesca" Snape says and the snake goes up in flames. There is silence throughout the hall. I look around. What happened while I was zoned out?