9. Bravery

Aspen woke up in the infirmary. Her eyes were just her normal brown color. Steve sat beside her. She sat up, but she laid back down when she felt a sharp pain in her side. She winced in pain. Steve looked at her.

"Hey, take it easy, Aspen. You put up a good fight", Steve said.

"The children. Are they safe?" Aspen asked.

"They're fine. They all got back to their families", Loki says as he walks into the room. Aspen sighed in relief. Loki sat next to her.

"It's not enough. HYDRA will just come for them again", Aspen said. "We need to think of something else. HYDRA will keep coming for them. Including me".

"We wouldn't let that happen", Loki said.

"I won't give up on them", Aspen said.

"We're not asking you to", Steve said.

"Good because I wouldn't listen", Aspen said. Steve smiles at her. "I...I killed those men. They were evil, but I didn't want to kill them".

"I wanted to make sure you were ready. Our goal is to save lives, but sometimes, we can't save everyone", Steve said.

"Don't blame yourself", Aspen said. "I spill blood. I never get a choice".

"Are you sure going on the field is what you want?" Steve asked. Aspen nodded.

"I'll suck it up", Aspen said. "I'll be careful". Steve smiles at her. "We need to shut down Project EHA for good".

"We will, but for now, get some rest, Aspen", Loki said.

Aspen lays down. She quickly sat up. "Wait! What happened to those other HYDRA agents? Did our team make it out okay? Was anyone else hurt?" Aspen ramble.

"Everyone is fine and we will explain everything, but you need to rest Aspen", Loki says as he puts his hand on her and gently pushes her down. Aspen laid on her side and closed her eyes.