Prologue

I don't really understand society.

What makes someone disown their own kid?

What makes a parent shut their own child out for liking the same gender as them?

What makes someone want to torment other people?

I let the words flow out of me as I typed rapidly on the orphanages not-so-up-to-date computer. I had been on there for 15 minutes, trying to figure out how to start my essay. Our topic was "What do we not understand about the world" and my answer is society.

Isabel, another girl in the orphanage, walked downstairs. "Can I use the computer Courtney?" she asked me.

I nodded and replied, "In about 5 minutes. I'm just going to watch a video on YouTube for a little bit."

My mouse saved my document and I opened the browser, googling Prestonplayz. I clicked on the latest parkour video he posted and Millie, my best friend, came down and watched behind me. Preston was our favorite out of the whole pack, but we still loved all of their videos.

After the video we walked upstairs talking, because in an orphanage there isn't really much to do but socialize sometimes.

Out of the blue Millie turns to me and asks, "Do you think that we'll ever get adopted?"

I turn to her. Millie was 14 and has been in here since she was 6. I've been in here since I was 4. Both of us came months apart and officially we've bother been here 8 years.

The older you got the less of the chance you'll get adopted. "I don't know Millie." I said shrugging.

"Maybe one day."