Game Night

(Reader's P.O.V.)

I was so excited I ended up buying a bunch of snacks for a long game session. This will be the first semi-physical interaction with Unknown✦. I turn on my laptop and wait. I'm waiting to see what game the glitch picks. Right on cue, the game Team Sonic Racing opens. I send Unknown✦ a text and ask him if he has the game. Luckily he does and I start an online room. The username "Sonic.Exe" appears. That name seems to pop up a lot. The cyber attacks use that name and even that game file that won't open has that name. Did Unknown✦ make it or something? Is he the hacker? "Are you ready to play?" "I am, but I'm curious about your user name." Just then the name "Sonic.Exe" changes to "Unknown✦". Am I going crazy or something?

(Unknown✦'s P.O.V.)

That was too close. I almost exposed myself just then. Stupid game calling me out like that. Good thing I fixed the text file before she caught on. Just play dumb and pretend I know nothing. "Did you not like it? You said that's what you put as my caller ID." "It's fine but I think a glitch happened. Your username wasn't displayed properly." Good, she thinks it was a glitch. I really need to be more careful. "I can't really text and play at the same time. Is it okay if we voice chat?" Voice chat?! I don't exactly have a voice to chat with. A least, not one she won't immediately recognize. I don't want to tell her no, but how exactly will I voice chat with her? I could discreetly pull up her voice chat program, make a separate account and call her through that. But there's the possibility that my voice will come up as static. I start going over various scenarios until I come to the conclusion that I can't voice chat with her. At least, not yet. I sadly text a poor excuse as to why I can't voice chat with her. I see her frown and I only begin to feel guilty. "How about we do that next time? ^-^" She smiles and hesitates to respond. I guess she has trouble texting regardless. My goddess is so shy. She sighs and just sends, "Sure". After an hour or so of playing games and her eating snacks, she ends up texting me a question that makes me a little nervous. It's not exactly panic-inducing but still makes me nervous. "How come you can play Sonic and I can't?" The question itself wouldn't be that alarming under different circumstances but in this particular instance, it made me worry she's onto me. I just send a joke response and we play another track. Then I get a question about her friend Miles. I'm briefly reminded that I'm keeping him in my basement. Not that she or anyone else would be able to find where that is. I'm on a whole separate plane of reality. I just dismiss the question and get back to playing the game. It's the third question however, that makes me pixelate with panic. "Do you know anything about a program called 'Sonic.Exe'?"