A Friend?

(Reader's P.O.V.)

While I'm trembling in the stall of the girl's bathroom trying to compose myself, I get a text from someone. It says it's from "Unknown", I'm not sure I should look... I sigh and look at the text. "You okay? You looked scared." I take a deep breath and text back. It'd be kinda rude if I didn't and besides I need to know who this is. "How did you get my number? Are you nearby or something? How did you know I was scared?" Almost immediately, my phone pings with a new text from Unknown. "I was there when it happened. I got your number from a friend. Are you okay?" I sit there for a moment. Maybe they're a friend of Miles. "I'm okay but, who are you?" My phone pings again with another immediate response. "Just call me a friend." Somehow all that fear I had earlier left me. Maybe I can trust this person. They did seem concerned about my well-being...

(Unknown's P.O.V.)

I can't believe I scared her! I was so caught up in scaring them I forgot she was in the room too! I connected to her phone from her laptop so I could see if she was okay. To my relief, she's fine, just a little shaken up. I should be more careful next time. I don't want to frighten her off. "I want to save your name in my phone. Could you please tell me it?" I hesitate. I can't tell her my name now. That'll frighten her. "Unknown is fine. I'd like to stay anonymous if that's ok." I see her smile through her phone's camera. I sneak a picture to keep in a private file. Maybe when we're together I'll show her a few. Nothing embarrassing though. "I'll put a star emoji next to it so I know it's you. Thank you for checking up on me." It makes me happy knowing I've made her feel better. I wonder which game we should play tonight?

(Reader's P.O.V.)

I save Unknown✦ in my phone. I leave the ice cream shop feeling a bit better than I did earlier. Maybe I should ask if Unknown✦ knows Miles. I'll ask them when I get home. I'm in such a good mood I buy ice cream along with (F/F) and (F/D) on the way home. I sit watching a movie on my laptop when I get a text from Unknown✦. "Did you make it home okay?" I type a quick reply and get back to my movie. Then the idea dawns on me again. Miles... I hadn't seen him at school. He's supposed to be my best friend and he wasn't there to help me fend off the vultures before that cyber attack happened. "Hey, I have a question. Are you friends with Miles?"

(Unknown✦'s P.O.V.)

Miles? Where have I seen that name? Oh, wait. That Miles. The one who ran away. I was wondering what her connection to him was. That's why he brought me here. He figured that only his most trusted would destroy me. That backfired but at least I don't have to worry about him becoming my rival. He's probably far away by now. "I knew him. He got really weird one day and just left. You probably won't see him anymore." Her happy expression fades and I start pixelating a bit. I'm jealous, I already know that. Jealous of him. Jealous that he knew her first. Jealous that she's upset over someone like him. Couldn't she focus on someone who isn't going to cowardly run away and give her something dangerous? I would never put her in harm's way. I guess I should thank him for bringing us together. If he wasn't so cowardly as to not finish what he started, I never would've met my goddess. I hear her start crying. "I didn't even get the chance to tell him how I feel..." That really makes me mad. She had feelings for that coward! Now I want to tear him apart! I'm sure he ditched every electrical device on his person when he ran. Smart move for him but bad for me. He's still out there and she has feelings for him. Well, he's not anywhere near her and I'm sure her feelings will change soon enough. I pull open a game on her computer. Let's play for a bit, I'll make you feel better. You don't need a guy like him.