(29) Lost Letters

Start from the beginning

     Reggie shakes his head. "We're not going back there." Though, in the back of his mind, he knows he would for one person. If she was still there, he'd chance everything.

     Luke takes a few weak steps forward. "No music is worth making, Julie, if we're not making it with you. No regrets."

     Julie lunges forward, hugging Luke tightly as they both cry against each other. "I love you guys," Julie whispers, but they all hear her. Suddenly, her grip loosens as she leans back, wide-eyed. Luke is glowing.

     The same way Reggie thought Jess was when he saw her in the art studio.

     "How can I feel you?" Julie asks, taking Luke's hands in her own.

     "I-I-I don't know," Luke replies as he gently shakes his head. He takes Julie's face in his hands as she does the same, wiping away a tear that had fallen down her cheek. Taking her hands once more, Luke looks back at Alex and Reggie. "I-I feel stronger."

     "Alex, Reggie, come here."

     They gladly approach for a tight group hug, but Reggie can't help but feel like they are missing people, namely Justin and Jess. He can tell by Alex's expression that he feels the same.

     Slowly, the pain starts to ebb away, leaving Reggie breathless. In a good way, this time. "Whoa," he sighs. "I-I don't feel as weak anymore."

     "Yeah, me neither," Alex says. "Not that, you know, I was ever that weak."

     They all thrust their arms into the center and watch in awe as the Hollywood Ghost Club stamp that has been haunting their lives disappears into the air, the rest of the pain along with it.

     "What do you think that means?" Julie asks.

     Luke chuckles. "I think the band's back."

     "You guys think we can try that hug thing one more time?" Alex asks tentatively. Reggie laughs to himself, already spreading his arms around Julie and Luke. "Hugs are good."

     "I like this," Reggie says with a sniffle.

     "Me too." Julie grins as she tightens her grip. "We played the Orpheum! Woooo!" They jump around in a circle, laughing the entire time.

     It takes a while for all of them to calm down from the excitement of being free from the stamp. Still, something nags at the back of Reggie's mind as he wipes away any remnants of the tears that, minutes ago, were streaming down his face.

     "We should call Justin!" Julie says, already tugging her phone out. "He thinks you guys crossed over. Plus, we'll tell Jess. She's gotta be with him, right?"

     Reggie's heart drops into his stomach.

     "Shh! It's ringing," Julie grins up at them but falters at their expressions. "What? What happened?"

     "Julie?"

     "Justin!" Julie calls out, still eyeing the boys as she puts the phone on speaker. "I have some news."

     He hesitates. "Is it...did the boys cross over?"

     "No, but we got the stamps off!" Julie says as her whole face lights up.

     Once again, Justin seems to pause. "That's great. The boys with you now?" Something in his voice is off—angry.

     Julie frowns, probably at the tone of his voice. Reggie doesn't blame her—he would too. "Um, yeah, we had a group hug when the stamps just floated away. We can touch now! Come over so we can celebrate."