Five

A few days later, I walked around the leaky cauldron in the afternoon, washing off the tables.

These past few days, I hadn't been able to think about anything else than someone jumping Marco and beating him up because they thought he was gay.

He's in a gay relationship and so what if he was gay? Why can't people just accept each or her for who they are?

It makes me so pissed and it's one of the reasons I wanted to be a journalist and have my own newspaper. I wanted to write my own stuff about equality and make a difference.

Though I gave up on that, because I'm a coward.

Marco acts like it's not a big deal.

"That's just how it is being queer in today's society"

That's not how it's supposed to be for Christ sake. We're supposed to be supporting each other. Not hating each other for being themselves.

What's wrong with liking your own gender? Why does it even matter to some people? Mind your own fucking business because it's not hurting anyone.

"Allie."

"What?!" I snapped and spun around, my expression falling as soon as I saw George. "What are you doing here?"

"I needed to— Allie." He spoke as I pushed past him and walked to the bar.

"What?" I asked in annoyance. "Do you need a drink? Food? A room?"

"I need you."

I froze. I stared at the wall in front of me before slowly turning around to look at him.

"I didn't know you worked here when I decided to have a date with Angie here at the start of the week but—" he sighed. "... I saw you and now I can't get you out of my head. I miss you."

He leaned on the bar with his arms, trying to reach for me, but I backed up.

"I have a boyfriend." I said. "And I'm happy. I'm still trying to move on from you which he understands, but that can't happen if you show up at my workplace."

George straightened up, pushing his hands into the pockets of his trousers while looking at me with an intense look.

"You have a boyfriend?"

"Yeah." I nodded. "And you were just on a date with Angelina. She's a nice girl so don't you dare do that to her. You don't date someone and then go tell your ex that you miss her."

"I'm not— it was one date." He told me. "There was no spark so we agreed to just stay friends. I still love you. I've always loved you."

"Stop— George, stop." I said, shaking my head. "I'm in a committed relationship. You need to—"

The bell above the door rang as Timothy entered, stopping when he saw George.

"What are you doing here? Allie, what's he doing here?"

"Nothing." I said. "He was just leaving."

"Allie—"

"You heard her." Timothy said, approaching the bar. "She told you to leave."

"And was I talking to you?" George turned towards him, then looked at me again. "Don't tell me he's the one you're with."

"Yes, he is." I nodded. "Is that an issue?"

Timothy walked around the bar and placed a bag of take-out on the surface before he ran a hand through his hair, watching the interaction between George and I.