Chapter 19: Carnival! Part 2

Cole:

"That was them, right?" Cole looked back at the car that just passed them. He recognized her car.

"Cole, she obviously doesn't want to see you. Let's go back to campus," Matt suggested. Cole shook his head in disagreement.

"I can't just leave when I'm so close to getting her back." Cole pressed the gas pedal hard in the direction he saw them drive in.

"You really want her back?" Matt scoffed.

"Yes," Cole answered as he concentrated on the road.

"You were sleeping with that red head-"

"A mistake."

" Dude, a terrible mistake. Move on, forget about it. About her."

"I can't." he sighed, shaking his head. "I really hurt her. I need to make it better."

"Can we at least find a place to sleep? I'm tired as hell." Cole nodded, starting on the road again. His mind wandering of the time he spent with Molly, their Valentine's Day, he took her to the roller rink. Knowing that she couldn't skate, he loved the terrified expression on her face when she thought she was gonna fall. It was so cute.

"Cole, I swear to all things that are jelly beans. If I fall I will kill you," Molly on her roller skates, hunched over trying to find balance and Cole holding her hands while rolling backwards. Their four-month anniversary wanted to surprise her by doing something he knew she wouldn't like.

"You will not fall, I got you," gripping her hands tightly, but she drifted backwards. "Mol, don't go backwards, it's dangerous," he warned her.

"I want to go home," she replied stubbornly.

"I thought you always wanted to skate"

"When I was seven, but be realistic, Cole. You know I'm uncoordinated." her head down looking at her feet but she was frowning.

"Come here," he pulled at her wrists for her to come closer to his chest. She held onto his shoulders, his hands on her waist. Her body was tense but relaxed when they glided slowly. She met his eyes, a longing look, and she smiled. Smiling back, he rested his head on hers. "Happy Valentines' Day," he whispered.

"Happy Valentines' Day," she responded, closing her eyes and leaning in. Doing the same, he pulled her forward, but she slipped on the wheel of her skate and fell forward on her knees and elbows. "Ow," she muttered in pain. Cole chuckled and helped her stand. 'She really is uncoordinated, she's so cute. I love her.'

"Pay attention! You're drifting off the road!" Matt's voice broke Cole's trance. He realized they were almost on the other side of the road. Muttering a shit, he pulled back on the road and began looking for signs of a motel. "Look, a Carnival, let's get some food," Matt pointed.

"I thought you said you were tired," Cole mumbled.

"I am. I'm also hungry for a corn dog. We can grab one, or two. Or five. Then find a motel." Cole was not in the mood to see clowns or snotty children. It could take his mind off some things.

'Matt could probably drive for a while after.' "Fine. One hour, then we're gone," Cole suggested, turning right to where the Carnival sign directed them.