"Anything else?" I asked not looking up. I wanted her there with me when I gave birth. I was scared. I couldn't face Ace, he would know. "Someone broke into one of the vaults." The same man stated in a that same gritty accent. What the fuck!? "Someone broke into one of the vaults? Which one?" I asked as I looked up at him, my heart beating calmly. He pursed his thin lips and scratched his barely there stubble. "Gold." He mumbled, his voice low.

"You fucking what!? Did I hear that right!?" I yelled as I shot up from my seat. Pain seared throughout my lower back and across my stomach. I placed both hands down onto the table to steady myself, my hair fluttering around my face. My breathing was shuddered but I felt the pain subside slowly.

"Leave the room." Ace ordered, his voice a cold  threat. The men quickly left the room, whispering amongst themselves. I smelt him first, musk and power. If power had a smell, it would smell like him. My body relaxed as he came to stand beside me. He touched the small of my back and slowly his hand travelled up and down, in soothing circles. I focused on my breathing. "Go and rest. I'll take it from here." He said quietly. It was a silent demand. An order. "I hate feeling useless." I whispered, my back revelling to his touch. I winced as I straightened up.

His hand stopped. He placed his finger under my chin and turned my face to look at him. My gaze was a weak mess looking into his sure willed eyes. But yet he looked at me like I was the strongest woman he knew. "The men in this room are useless, you my love, are not. Don't you forget that." He spoke, every word comforted me. I leaned forward, closing the gap between us and kissed him.

When we let go, I saw his dark eyes twinkling as if stars truly lived behind them. "I'll go and see Mariano...just remember Ace, if they disrespect you. Kill them. Everyone's expendable. You got that cretin?" I smiled giving in to his silent order. To make him happy I would do it. "Of course amore mio." He smiled back, the corner of his eyes lifting up. I gently ran my hand through his soft hair, seeing how it relaxed him.

"Don't be going soft on me." He smiled, using the same words I used on him when I fell for him. He rubbed my cheek with his thumb, his hand being warm. "For you, always." I replied. He kissed me once again.

He called the men back in and they found their seats once more even if they were in a huff. They looked completely dumbfounded when they saw me leave the room. I heard Ace as I closed the door behind me. "Sto prendendo il sopravvento. Non alzare la voce con me. Non fottere con me. Inteso? (I'm taking over. Do not raise your voice at me. Do not fuck with me. Understood?)" I'm sure the men flinched at his words and at the fluency of his Italian.

Well fuck me. I let him take over, he was as good as I was at this type of business. And his mafia, my mafia. They were ours. We ruled them as one.

I left the house, stepping into the bright sunshine. The warmth was beautiful, soaking into my skin. I stumbled and was about to fall but Aldo caught me. I shook his hands off me. "Fuck off." I growled. Shit. I could almost hear Ace telling me to fucking behave. "Thank you for catching me. Appreciate it Aldo." I looked at the towering man of muscle. I was only going to Mariano's house, I didn't need a guard but I was becoming used to the man.

I was driven to Mariano's house and I walked inside unannounced and definitely uninvited. I looked subconsciously towards the wine cellar and frowned. Instead I walked to the kitchen, finding it empty. Flicking on the lights, I made a beeline for the fridge and let my eyes scour the shelves. Cartons of juice, strawberry yogurt, fresh vegetables and bag of kale. I almost wanted to vomit at the sight of the leafy greens. I spotted some prosciutto and grabbed it. I placed one of the thin air dried pieces of ham into my mouth. Delicious.

I headed upstairs and could hear voices in Mariano's bedroom. I stopped myself from opening the door. God knows what he was doing in there. Fuck, I did not intend to scar myself. I knocked on the door loudly. "Pack it up!" I yelled.