Chapter 14

We got to work and Mary's car was in the parking lot. My heart stopped, I turned to look at Sophia and I could tell she was scared too. "Should we call the cops?" I asked Sophia. "And say what? 'Hey my best friend is making up rumors about me, can you come get her?' If she's done something crazy, Lucas would've called the cops already."

She was right. We walked into the office and it was empty and dark. We tried to turn on the lights, but the switch didn't work. "Over here!" we heard Mary yell out from Lucas' office. We walked towards it and there they were, Lucas was tied up to a chair and Mary was pointing a gun at him. We both raised our hands letting her know we had no weapons. "We just want to talk, put the gun down," I tried to reason with her.

"You shut the hell up!" Mary screamed at me, I flinched.

"Mary, please, put the gun down. Let's forget all this and move to another town. We can start all over somewhere else, I don't want to lose my best friend," Sophia begged her.

"You lost me a long time ago bitch. After everything I've done for you, I've always protected you, always made sure people wouldn't hurt you the way your dad did when he abandoned you. You remember how hurt you were? How you cried yourself to sleep for months! Each time someone got too close I made sure you wouldn't get attached to them so it wouldn't hurt you when they left, because that's what everyone does Sophia, they leave. They promise you to always be there and to love you forever, but guess what? Forever doesn't exist," Mary said, she looked deranged.

"I'm sorry I took all that for granted, Mary. I should've known you were just trying to look out for me. Forgive me. Now please, put the gun down." Sophia was trying to convince her.

"I've had enough of this, everyone here is going to die today," Mary said with a crazed look on her face. She pointed the gun at Lucas and shot him in the head, blood splattered everywhere.

"NO!! Why Mary?! Stop this please, it doesn't have to end this way," Sophia was crying now. I was thinking of a way to tackle Mary and take that gun away from her. I took a small step forward and she didn't notice. She was looking at Sophia, Sophia noticed what I was doing and started talking again to distract her. I took another small step forward, Mary looked at me and said "You just had to ruin everything didn't you? You were going to hurt her, how could you possibly love two people at the same time? You were just playing with her heart, and now you are going to watch her die. Now, GET BACK!" she screamed at me. I walked backwards and stood next to Sophia. I held her hand and it pissed off Mary, "Let go of her hand! Sophia how could you be so stupid? Can't you see he doesn't love you? He's only been using you to forget about me," she was trying to hurt Sophia like she usually does. She was aiming the gun at Sophie and I felt helpless, I had no idea how to help her. I turned to look at Sophie, she turned to look at me and I mouthed the words "I love you." I heard a loud bang, Mary had fired the gun and without noticing, she had switched her aim towards me. She shot me right in the chest, two more bangs, both still aimed at me. I fell to the floor and immediately started feeling cold. I heard someone scream. With blurred vision I saw Sophia take the gun away from Mary and shoot her. She got on her knees and grabbed my hand, she was begging me to stay with her. I could feel myself slipping away.