Chapter 2

It was pouring when I got to work, Mary was already there, "I love rainy days, doesn't it look so beautiful outside? The rain is so calming."

I was soaked and my nose was as red as Rudolph's, but I replied "yes, lovely" with a sarcasm she didn't seem to notice. There was something about today that made me feel so uneasy.

We restocked some shelves, helped out a few customers, and had lunch together. Our shift went by pretty fast and regardless of the rain we had a lot of people coming into the store. There was about two hours left of our shift when a guy who seems to be a bit older than I am, maybe in his thirties, walks in and heads straight to the back where the drinks are.

For a second I thought it was another typical drunk trying to get his fix, but when he came to the counter he was just holding two water bottles.

"Are you going to ring me up or are you just going to keep staring at me?"

I hadn't realized I had been staring at him for quite some time now.

"Yea, sorry, will this be all?" I said, a bit embarrassed.

He was looking at Mary now, a slight smile on his pale skin. His long black hair, wet from the rain, was dripping on the counter. "

"Good afternoon," he said while only looking at Mary.

"Yea, hi buddy, I'll be helping you." I said and he didn't even bother to look my way.

"It's ok Alex, I can help him, I don't mind," I hated the way she said that. I turned to look at her and I can feel my cheeks getting red with rage. Was she flirting with the guy? Why was I so annoyed at this?

She rang him up, gave him his change and he grabbed his two water bottles.

"I'll see you around beautiful," said the stranger, wearing a big grin on his face. I had a disgusted look on mine. He stood there for the longest five seconds of my life, stood there just looking at my Mary, MY Mary!!! I can tell she liked the attention he was giving her. She was actually blushin, my gosh, she was blushing!! She never blushed when I complimented her.

"Ok you got your stuff, now why don't you leave," it wasn't a question. I was furious, I know I shouldn't be because well, she's not my girlfriend or anything close to that, but I wanted her so badly to be.

He turned to me, his smile faded. He had a threatening look on his face.  He walked away.

"You didn't have to be so rude!" Mary exclaimed. "What's your problem anyway?"

My problem, MARY!! Is that I don't want some creep giving you compliments or flirting with you because I'm madly in love with you, is what I would've said if I had the balls to tell her how I really feel. Instead I just said, "Nothing," and walked away from her.

I had the day off the next day, but for some reason I couldn't help thinking about last night. Why was I so bothered still by the way Mary looked at that creep. I mean, I guess he wasn't bad looking,  but we've had plenty of guys walk in that were good looking and each time they flirted with her she never paid them any mind. What was so special about this guy?

All day I sent Mary texts to see how work was, but she didn't reply. Maybe it was busy, nah on a Tuesday? Tuesdays are our slowest days. I wondered if she was mad at me. There really wasn't a reason to be, it's not like she was ever going to see the stranger again.

10:00 pm, closing time at the store. I got a text from Mary.

"Hey Alex! Sorry for replying so late, I was super busy. I'll see you soon ok? Goodnight."

Goodnight? She usually asks me for a ride home, now I KNOW there's definitely something wrong. Should I ask her? No. I'll just text her tomorrow.

8:30 am

"Let's go grab breakfast?"

8:31 am seen

She's mad. I knew it.