Chapter 4

It had been two months since Mary and Lucas started dating. Mary stopped working at the liquor store, apparently Lucas thought she was too good to work there so he offered her a job in his company and she gladly accepted. She didn't mention what kind of job she would be doing, she just told me she was leaving and that was the last time we worked together. Work got boring without her there. I would often daydream about her walking back in here and telling me she was in love with me and how she had made a big mistake by going out with Lucas. Then I would wake up and realize that it would never happen, that I needed to move on, but as soon as my head hit the pillow at night, I would fantasize about holding her and telling her how much I loved her. I kept telling myself I should've told her how I felt, regardless of what could've happened because I already lost her. I lost her to another man, if I would've told her, I could've possibly had her love in return. Instead, I lay in bed wondering what it felt like to kiss her lips, to stare into those beautiful brown eyes and watch them light up every time I said I love you. I wondered if she had given herself to him and the thought of it made me hate myself for not taking a chance and confessing my love to her. What a pathetic loser I was.

    I woke up feeling like death. It was getting hard for me to sleep at night due to the fact that I would stay up thinking about Mary. I thought it would get easier with time, but it didn't.

Today I felt lucky though, my school had set me up to start interning at this big company where I would be doing social media marketing for them. The owner and founder of this company started off by selling soaps and bath products from his home and eventually he got so popular he had to expand and hire a few people to work for him. Luckily i was going to be the one promoting his business online and, not to brag, but I'm very good at what I do. I know I can get his products seen by celebs and important people who can also promote on their social media. If I was lucky enough, I was going to get hired immediately after my internship was over.

The place was called LuBody Care. It was very well kept, very modern. There were black and white paintings on the walls, everything was either black or white. Black couches, white floors, black and white walls adjacent to each other, white coffee table with a black centerpiece holding white roses. "Mr. Gutierrez will be out in a minute," said a very attractive woman.

I nodded my head and smiled as to say thank you. I waited for perhaps ten minutes, when I saw a familiar face walk towards me. He looked at me with a smirk, he recognized me too.

"You're Mary's old coworker right?" asked Lucas. Fate, you little bitch, you sure have a sick, twisted way of bringing people together.

"Umm yea, best friend actually," I let him know.

"Weird, she never mentions you," he let me know.

"I'm actually waiting for someone, I don't have time to chat" I said, hoping for him to leave me alone. I wondered if he was a client here.

"Yea I know, I'm the one you're waiting for. This is my company." He smiled at me.

I could imagine how stupid I looked and how much he was enjoying it.

"Oh, sorry. I uh..." I didn't even know what to say. I made myself look like a complete idiot, that's it, I wasn't getting the job, I wasn't even getting the internship. I fucked myself over. I got up to leave and he said, "Where are you going? You're leaving on your first day or interning?"

"Look, I know I made a complete asshole out of myself. I understand if you don't want me here, you don't have to feel obligated to let me do the internship," I said, feeling defeated.

"I agree that you have made yourself look like an asshole, in fact, I do believe you are an asshole, but I'm not the type of person to get upset easily. Trust me, it takes more than that to upset me. Now, follow me, I'm giving you a tour around the company," he said as he led the way.

His company was amazing, everyone had their own office. Yes, that was amazing to me. I hated working in places where your desk was right next to someone and you had to pretend to hear their annoying conversations about what they did during the weekend. There was also a big break room, it had vending machines with healthy snacks and fruit cups in the employees refrigerator that we didn't have to pay for. It literally looked like a modernized version of a school cafeteria, only there were couches and coffee tables in some corners of the room. We were walking towards what would be my office for the next three months. I had the urge to ask him what department Mary was working when, suddenly, we ran into her. She looked as beautiful as ever, she was wearing a black pencil skirt and a white ruffled dress shirt with black high heels. Her hair was long and straight, she had make up on, red lipstick and some mascara. I had never seen her with makeup ,but she looked amazing with and without it.

"Alex? What are you doing here?" she asked excitedly.

"I'm going to be interning here, what a surprise, right?" I said in an almost too excited to see her tone. "Yes, a very nice surprise, if I may add. Anyway, we'll catch up later," now talking to Lucas, "The Guzmans will be arriving shortly, do you want me to have them wait for you to finish giving the tour?"

"That won't be necessary, I'm walking Alexander to his office and I'll meet up with you after. Don't forget to set up the meeting room and have coffee ready before they get here," Lucas told Mary. He sounded more like her boss than her boyfriend, which was nice to see that they didn't call each other babe or treat each other all lubby dubby like some couples do. He took me to my office and told me today all I was going to be doing was setting up however I felt comfortable and making a list of any office supplies that needed to be ordered. Sophia was right, it was hard to hate the guy, he was already making me feel so welcomed. I couldn't help it though, whenever I thought of him and Mary together I just wanted to punch him in his perfect little face. I spent most of the day moving furniture around, setting up my desk, making a list of all the supplies I felt I needed and logging into my computer to set up my account. One of the perks of the office he gave me was that I got to see Mary walk by every time a customer would come in. She was the receptionist so she had to greet everyone that walked inside the company, answer phone calls and set up the conference or meeting rooms. He was right, she WAS too good to work at a liquor store, this job suited her, it was made for her.

When I was about done with setting things up, Lucas walked in and told me to go home as soon as I was done. He said someone was going to come in the next day and train me.

I got home later that day, cooked and watched some t.v. Around 9pm I received a text from Mary, "It was so nice to finally see you, I guess we're going to have a lot of time to catch up now that we're going to be working together."

I replied, "I guess you won't be able to avoid me now," and I immediately regretted it.

She didn't reply.