Chapter 5

The next day I made sure I dressed to impress, not that I had to try that hard. Not to brag, but I had a few girls after me. I'm not a bad looking guy, I could've had any girl I wanted, but the one girl I wanted was already spoken for. She had my heart and she didn't even know it, she chose someone else. I got to work, headed towards my office and glanced over where Mary's front desk is. She was talking on the phone, not a good time to try to go apologize. When I walked inside my office I noticed the supplies I had asked for were already on my desk, all in either black or white. What is it with this guy and only using two colors to decorate everything?

I waited patiently for the person who was going to train me, meanwhile I waited, I logged into my computer. I was about to google search "How to apologize to your best friend" when Sophia walks in. I had forgotten she told me she worked for Lucas. She had a surprised look on her face. "Hey weirdo," she whispered, trying not to be heard by anyone outside my office, I suppose. " What's up, Gossip Girl," I replied. She opened her mouth and gasped and laughed at the same time. She didn't deny it, she did love to gossip. "Guess I'll be training you today," she said. "You? Really? I never imagined you as someone who worked in marketing," I admitted. "What did you think my job was here? You thought I was a simple receptionist?" she regretted those words as soon as they came out of her mouth. She turned towards her best friend's desk. "That came out wrong," she said, feeling guilty. "It's ok, I won't tell," I told her and shot her a wink. "Eww, don't do that," she said disgusted. I couldn't help but laugh. I gotta admit, I was shocked to know that Sophia and I had the same passion for marketing, she was so good at what she did. It made me hate her a little less, I know, I know, I'm an asshole. My day went by smoothly, Sophia was a good trainer. I learned most of what I needed to know about the company and what it stood for and what kind of promotion Lucas was looking for in regards to his products. I was amazed at the fact that he was getting a big donation to be able to send kids in third world countries bath and hygiene products. Another point for him.

My first week was a success, I loved everything about this company. Besides the fact that I was doing what I loved, I got to see Mary. I had already apologized and she swore she hadn't gotten upset which, of course, I didn't believe her. Sophia and I started taking lunch together and there were times that I caught her staring at Lucas. Maybe it was just my imagination, but every time Lucas would ask her something, her cheeks flushed and she seemed to get so nervous.

Work had me very busy so by the time I got home I cooked, exercised a bit, showered and went straight to bed. I hardly watched any T.V. and when I did try, I ended up falling asleep on the couch. There were even some weekends in which I found myself consumed with finding new creative ideas in which I could advertise Lucas' products. I ran some ideas by him to let me get in touch with a few of my fellow influencer friends on instagram and ask them if they could advertise and promote his products. He agreed and we sent them a PR package. Life was beginning to be in my favor, workwise at least. Lucas had Mary do a photoshoot advertising some bath bombs that hadn't been released yet. He also had his photographer shoot a video of her using a body scrub that smelled like grapefruit. It was part of his new spring collection that was coming out in April, which was just a couple weeks away. I felt so proud to have been part of a new launch, to have had the idea of where to shoot the videos and pictures for it. At the same time, I was a bit sad because my internship was about to end and Lucas hadn't talked to me about staying in the company, why would he? I know he noticed the way I stared at Mary, the way I basically drooled when she would walk by my office. With one week left to go I wasn't keeping my hopes up.

It was friday, I finally had a weekend off. I decided to treat myself to some chinese food and call it a night. I left the chinese food place I usually go to and I couldn't find my phone. Did I leave it at work? I don't recall using it any time after leaving. Luckily, I had a key to get into the company without setting off any alarms. I drove back to work in a rush. That's weird, Sophia's car is still in the parking lot. She hadn't mentioned she was working late today when we took lunch together. I used my key to let myself in and walked slowly to my office hoping Sophia wouldn't see me because I didn't want her to ask me to stay and help with whatever she was working on, it was my first weekend off. I found my phone and was about to head out the door when I heard strange noises. It sounded to me like someone was having sex, HERE, at the office!! I imagined it was Sophia, but who could she possibly be with? I wanted to let my curiosity get the best of me and take a little peek inside her office, but I quickly decided no to. I walked to my car as silently as I could and went home. For some reason, I had a dream that night, I had a dream that I went to look inside Sophia's office and I caught her with someone she wasn't supposed to be with, but when I looked at his face, it was me.