Chapter 10

I felt Mary trying to unbutton her shirt and I pulled away.

"Stop, I can't do this. You are with my boss and I don't want to hurt Sophia if she were to find out. If anything is going to happen between us, it has to happen without us hurting anyone," I told her.

"You really think they're going to care? They've been hooking up for weeks, possibly months without thinking that they might be hurting anyone!"

"So you're just using me to get back at them? That's what all this is about?"

"Of course not! I told you, I've liked you for a long time. I couldn't say anything before because Sophia was my best friend, but now that I know that she doesn't give a shit about you, then why do I have to stop myself from being with you? I know you still want me Alex! Don't try to deny it," Mary said and she was right. As much as I hate to admit it, she was right. There were times that I still imagined what life would be like with her, but I also have feelings for Sophie. Now I know what Sophie meant when she said why do these things have to be so complicated.

"Please leave Mary. I need time to think, I need to be alone."

She kissed me again and said goodbye. That night, all I could think about was her kiss. How long I waited for her kiss and now that I had gotten it, I had to reject it. This wasn't right. I had to talk to Sophie.

    Wednesday morning, I showed up at Sophie's house before work. I wanted to talk to her. She was already gone. While I drove to work I received a text. It was from Lucas, "We have a new receptionist, his name is Frank. Show him your badge when you get here, there's going to be new security protocols from now on."

Security protocols? Did we really need security at work?

As soon as I walked in I saw Frank. Tall, skinny guy with long blonde hair with pink highlights. I showed him my badge and he introduced himself, "Hi hun, my name is Frank and I'm the new receptionist slash host. Please, if you need anything from me, let me know. If I'm not at my desk I'm going to have this new work phone with me, you can reach me at extension 610."

"Thank you, and nice to meet you," I told him and went to Sophia's office. She looked up and smiled when she saw me. "Good morning handsome," she said. "Good morning, Sophia, any news on getting the new season products to be advertised by Miranda Lambert?" I asked her. We were already working on the bath products for next season, which would be summer. We wanted to have Miranda Lambert, a famous country singer, advertise them on her instagram because she is Lucas' favorite female country artist. The new season products included body scrubs, facial cleansers, bath bombs, soaps, candles and a brand new surprise product was going to be included this season which was bottleless shampoo. We wanted to start promoting products that were safe for the environment and that used less plastic. "I haven't been able to get in contact with her, I've been a little busy," she said. "I bet you have," I muttered the words.

"Let me know if you need help with that, I might leave a little early today. I have some things I need to take care of," I lied, I was actually thinking of going to see Mary. "If I need anything I'll email you, okay?" she said, and I walked out of her office. I sat at my desk and opened up a folder with a project I was working on. I was trying to concentrate on my work, but all I could think of was Sophia and how she has been lying to both Mary and myself. How easy it is for her, no remorse, no regret. Now i'm wondering if she was actually talking about me when she said she was in love with someone she can't have. I emailed Lucas and let him know that I had to leave early for the day. He replied and said it was ok. I went to lunch and Frank was sitting there alone, I went to sit with him. "Hey, mind if I sit with you?" I asked. "Not at all, have a seat," he replied. "So how did you hear about the job? Are you friends with Lucas?" I asked Frank.

"No, actually I'm friends with Sophia, she's the one that got me in. I'm so lucky to have her as a friend. We hung out on Saturday and she told me her boss was looking for a receptionist and since I was looking for work, I sent him my resume and well, you know the rest," he said. Saturday, but Mary was fired Tuesday. They planned this all along. We talked a bit more during our break, mostly asking each other where we were from, what our hobbies were, he was a very cool guy. He asked me if I was going out with anyone and I felt like it was a trick question. I wondered if he would tell Sophia about our conversation. "No, I'm not dating anyone at the moment. Females are so complicated and hard to understand," I said, frustrated. "I agree, we are so complicated. But men are too," we both laughed. I had never had a gay friend before, Frank was really easy to talk to. "Well, I gotta go, I'm leaving early today. I hope you enjoyed your first day, I'll see you tomorrow," I said and got up to throw my trash away. Sophia was walking in, she smiled at me but I pretended not to notice. I clocked out and left work. I wasn't sure anymore whether I wanted to meet up with Mary or not. I got home, changed out of my work clothes and into something more casual. I was still debating whether I should text her or not. I turned on the T.V and was starting to doze off when my phone vibrated, I got a text, it was Sophia, "So what is it that you need to take care of? Are you ok?"

I replied, "I'm fine Sophia, it's personal stuff, I'll see you at work tomorrow." I was hoping she'd notice I didn't call her Sophie, she loved when I called her that. I put my phone on silent and continued watching t.v. I was beginning to feel tired so I went straight to bed, I sent Lucas an email telling him I wasn't going to make it to work the next day. I honestly didn't want to see Sophia. I sent a text to Mary and dozed off. I awoke from a weird dream that felt so real, it was still dark out. I had dreamed that Mary had somehow gotten inside my apartment and laid next to me, it felt so real that I could smell the perfume she was wearing. It smelled of citrus. I opened my eyes and felt someone next to me, it was Mary. It wasn't a dream. She was actually here. I rubbed my eyes, as if that would help me remember. I pulled my arm from under her, she moved slightly but didn't wake up. I looked at the clock on the wall, it read 3:58am. I grabbed my phone from the night stand and tiptoed to the living room, I went straight to my texts and remembered I had messaged Mary before I fell asleep, however, I don't remember anything after that. What the hell is wrong with me? I rubbed my head with both hands, pulling my hair a bit hoping that somehow I could remember what happened, I closed my eyes again. There was somebody approaching me from behind, before I had a chance to look back, I felt her pull my head back and she sliced my throat. I awoke sweating and screaming, I had never had a dream within a dream before and this one terrified me. I looked at the clock on the wall, it read 5:00am time to get up and get ready for work, then I remembered I asked for the day off and tried to go back to sleep, but couldn't. I was tossing and turning, wondering what my dream meant. I decided I was going to see my abuelita today. Finally, I was able to fall back to sleep. When I woke up again, it was 9:27am. I got up and started to get ready to go see my abuela, she would know what my dream meant.