Chapter 6

I spent Saturday catching up on chores I hadn't done the whole week and then on Sunday I went for a walk at the beach. I kept thinking that maybe I should talk to Lucas or if maybe I should start looking somewhere else for another job and then I can just ask for a letter of recommendation. I tried to distract myself, after the beach drove around. It was a nice day out. Around noon I got a text from Mary, "Hey did you work late friday?"

"No, I actually went home early," I told her, wondering why the question. Then I remembered Sophia was the one that stayed late that night and she wasn't alone. I didn't mention this to Mary because I didn't want to get Sophia in trouble. Believe it or not we had grown a little closer and I wasn't trying to throw her under the bus. Maybe she left a mess in her office and Mary was curious about it, either way, I wasn't going to rat her out. Mary didn't text me back. I went about my day, I had gotten used to my own company and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I still imagined what it would be like to be with Mary once in a while, but not as much as I used to. I got home, ate, showered and went straight to bed. That night I had a dream I was holding someone in my arms, I kept trying to look at her face, but I could only see the back of her head. When she finally turned around I realized it was Sophia. I woke up to my alarm ringing for work. It was officially Monday and it was what would be my last day of interning, I was going to miss this place. As I walked to my office, I glanced over at Sophia's office and I couldn't help but wonder who she was in there with on Friday night. I looked over at the front desk where Mary would be, but she wasn't there. She was probably with a client, I thought to myself. As I finished up on some of my projects I also packed a few of my things. Lucas walked in before lunch time, "Uuh.. are you redecorating your office again? Why are you packing all those things?" he asked, confused. "I imagined since it was my last day of interning, I should start packing my things now rather than wait until I clock out," I told him.

"I guess I came in here just in time then, here, read through these papers. It's your new job contract, it lets you know all the new benefits you will be receiving, including a raise, unless of course you already found a better job," Lucas said while holding out the contract for me to grab. "No, I haven't," I admitted while taking the contract from his hands. "Thank you so much, you will  not regret it," I said.

    I read through the contract and signed every paper that needed to be signed. I got a pretty good raise because, even though I was interning, Lucas was paying me. When i got to the last page of the contract I laughed as I read

I agree that I will not drool over my boss' girlfriend and if I do, I will try my best to not make it so goddamn obvious.

Sign here:

Of course, I signed and agreed to try not to make it so obvious, although it wasn't going to be easy. For the rest of the day I didn't see Mary, I later found out she didn't come to work. I text her and asked her if she was sick, but she said she had some important things to take care of. At the end of the day I went to turn in my contract paperwork to Lucas and I overheard him talking on the phone, "I already told you where I was, if you choose not to believe me, that is on you. Now, stop acting like a child and get to work!" he sounded pissed. Was he talking to Mary? I walked into his office and startled him, "Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt, I was just dropping off the paperwork," I said, a bit embarrassed that I might've caught him having an argument with the girl we were both in love with. "It's ok, I was just talking to a client," he lied. Why would a client care about his whereabouts? That's a load of crap. "Are you ok with everything you read on the contract?" he asked. I felt embarrassed because of the drool over my boss' girlfriend part. "Yea, I read and signed through everything, including that part," I said.

"Oh shit, I could've sworn I had taken that part out, I guess I was thinking out loud and I must've left it there," he laughed. There was an awkward silence, "I'll see you tomorrow," he finally said. "Yea, I'll see you tomorrow and thanks again," I said. As I walked towards the exit, I noticed Sophia had already left. She never leaves early on Mondays, those are the busiest days for her. I wondered if she had gotten in trouble for what she did. I didn't know if i should text her or not, then she would definitely know that I was here Friday and that I heard what she was doing.

When I got home I decided to text Sophia to see what she was up to.

"Hey Loser, let's go get something to eat," I hoped she replied, not just because I wanted to know what was going on with her, but because I really was hungry.

"Do you have a place in mind?" she relied.

"Lets meet up at Boulevards, I'm craving some chilli cheese fries," I text her as I grabbed my car keys and headed out the house. Boulevard Burgers is an amazing place, yes it's a burger joint, but once you walk in you have an awesome view. There's pictures everywhere of famous celebrities and when I say everywhere I mean everywhere, including the tables. We ordered and sat at a table next to Betty Boop. While we waited I tried to start a conversation, "slow day today?' I asked her. "You can say that," she said, looking a bit under the weather. "Is there anything wrong with you? You don't seem like your usual self," I asked her, not that I minded her not being her usual self because that meant I would hear all the gossip from people that worked at the office, but I guess I had gotten used to her being all chatty and today she was the opposite of that."I'm fine. It's just one of those days, you know?" she replied and looked out the window.

I wondered if she was thinking about the guy she was with on Friday night, or if she had gotten caught by Lucas. Our food was brought to us by a waitress "if you guys need anything else, don't hesitate to ask me," she said in a sweet angelic voice. "Thank you," I replied. My mouth watered when I looked at my fries, I turned to look at and asked, "you want some?" she said "No thanks, I actually ordered a lot of food," I looked at what she had ordered and she was right. She ordered a cheeseburger special, large fries, onion rings and a large coke. This was one thing that I really liked about Sophia, she wasn't like other girls, she loved to eat and wasn't embarrassed to be seen eating by a guy. While I waited for my fries to cool down a bit I asked her, "So, how was your weekend?"  she turned red and said, "Oh, you know, just stayed in, didn't really do much of anything. I had a friend over on Saturday, but we just watched a movie and had some popcorn and then I sent him home," she blushed a little while she said this. "Oh, so you had a little date eh? So, who's the lucky guy? Anyone I know?" I shouldn't have asked that. Would she think I knew who she was screwing in the office? Holy shit, I felt my face getting red and I laughed it out, "I'm kiddiiiiing, you don't have to talk about it if you don't want to."

She quickly said, "No, why would you know him? You don't know him!" she seemed a bit defensive, I had never seen her like this, usually she admitted things easily. She was an open book. "Sorry," she said, perhaps after noticing I was shocked at the way she responded. "It's just, I really like this guy and maybe I shouldn't because it doesn't feel right. Why is love so complicated? Why can't people just be free to love whoever they want to love?" it wasn't a question.  "Are you, a lesbian?" I asked her, feeling foolish. She laughed so hard she snorted, "No, I'm not a lesbian. I just meant I have feelings for someone that I shouldn't have feelings for because I know he doesn't love me back." I didn't know what to say, we were both quietly eating. I concentrated a little too hard on one of my fries that was entangled with lots of cheese. "I'm sorry Sophie, I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable, you just don't seem like yourself today and since we started working together you have become one of my best friends. I don't want to see you like this over some asshole that doesn't know how to appreciate you," I said and she started leaning closer, our faces were almost touching, she was about to kiss me. My phone vibrated and she sat up straight, "It's Mary, she wants to hang out with us," I told Sophia. "Don't reply to her, what is she suddenly so bored of her boy toy that she remembered she has friends?" she said, looking annoyed. I was in a bit of a dilemma because, honestly, I did want to hang out with Mary, it had been what felt like forever since we last hung out and talked.