Chapter 9: Surprise

George POV

His eyebrows slowly furrowed the longer I stared at him.

"George! What was that? You literally just asked her on a date!!", Clay screamed at me quietly.

"I didn't!", I sighed.

"Huh? Then what was that??", he questioned me.

"Why do you care?", I coldly responded. He sighed and went silent. He scooped some ice cream and swallowed it.

"Goodluck on your date, George.", Clay whimpered.

We both continued to eat our ice cream. Why did he get so upset? Was it because of Akari? Ugh, why would I think that? He probably just does this because he hates her. So that Akari gets irritated, not because he likes me.

I set my eyes on him as we devoured our ice cream, he looked so angry as he was staring outside the window. I took a quick photo of him, I smiled as I looked at it.

"Akari texted you?", Clay uttered in an uninterested manner.

"N-No..", I stuttered. He rolled his eyes.

"Okay, Clay. Why are you like this?", I confronted him

"Ugh, why do you care?", he scooped and ate some ice cream.

Did he just mock me? What the hell?!

"Fine!", I grunted in an annoyed manner.

I started eating the ice cream and the banana aggressively, I chewed on the cherry like I was forced to eat it. Clay looked concerned, he knew that I was angry at him. I started clenching my jaws. We both finished the banana split, I placed the spoon hardly on the plate.

"I'm sorry..", Clay murmured dolorously.

"You know, I just felt bad that's why I did that.", I uttered with a straight face neutrally.

"Oh..", he looked relieved.

"You don't control who I date, Clay.", I shyly whispered.

"Y-Yeah.. Of course.", he said in a sorrowful manner with his raspy voice.

I felt bad cause I know that deep inside, he's the one that I want but there's something stopping me. He's too good for me, we just don't work. Even though our hands fit like it's made for eachother, even how comfortable and safe I feel with him, it just won't work.

-

Clay drove us home, it was quite an awkward ride. No one spoke, no one even dared to turn the radio on. I would just gradually look at him in his rearview mirror, he's too beautiful for me, that's why we won't work.

-

It's wednesday, I was eating at lunch with Nick, Luke, and Karl. For the past 3 days, I haven't been talking to Clay. It looks like we are both still upset about what happened. He would teach me math but that was the only interaction we will have. I was always looking down, I wasn't happy about it. Anyone can see and feel the change of atmosphere when they're around me.

"Hey.", Nick exclaimed as he snapped his fingers infront of me.
"You've been like this since Monday and you're not telling us why?", he adds.

"Ugh fine, me and Clay had a small argument.", I continued eating my burger.

"What happened?", Nick asked.

"Well when we were going to eat ice cream outside, Akari showed up. Then they just started arguing with each other.", Nick lets out a small giggle.

"What's funny?!", I grunted.

"Isn't it obvious?!", Nick laughs.
"They're fighting over you!"