Chapter 25: Baby Steps

"People are strange when you're a stranger
Faces look ugly when you're alone
Women seem wicked when you're unwanted
Streets are uneven when you're down
When you're strange
Faces come out of the rain
When you're strange
No one remembers your name
When you're strange"

"People are strange when you're a strangerFaces look ugly when you're aloneWomen seem wicked when you're unwantedStreets are uneven when you're downWhen you're strangeFaces come out of the rainWhen you're strangeNo one remembers your nameWhen you'...

"Get rest.  We leave first thing the sun rises."  Jorge told them as he headed out of the room to a different one. Clara moved her back pack away from her as she looked up at the ceiling above her. She heard some shuffling from the others and then nothing.  She pursed her lips slightly, knowing she wouldn't get sleep and sat up before unzipping her bag and pulling out the deck of cards.

She let out a deep breath as she started to shuffle them.  She did it a few more times, shuffling the cards and deep breaths in and out.  They always helped calm her down.

"Clara, do you have to shuffle cards now?"  Minho groaned, not even facing her as he knew what was going on.

"Yes."  She stated, keeping her eyes on the cards.  Minho let out a sigh as he had his arms crossed over his chest and closed his eyes.  A pair of feet made their way towards her than sat down in front of her.

Clara's eyes flickered up and was met with Newt who smiled softly at her.  "You alright?"  He asked.

"Just wanting to get back."  She answered him simply, looking back at the cards.

"You think they'll let us stay?  The Right Arm?"  He asked.

"Mhm.  It's what they do."  She cocked her head to the side slightly as she placed a card down.

Newt fiddled with his hands and gave a short nod as he looked at his hands.  There wasn't a word spoken between the two.  They were both nervous clearly.  Newt just continued to fiddle with his hands, trying to calm himself down. He was scared for Tommy. 

The more he thought, the worst his thoughts became.  He started to dig his fingernails into his hand, tearing his flesh slightly, not even paying attention to the damage that he was doing.  That was until a hand was placed on his, stopping him completely.

Newt looked up, seeing Clara looking at him.  No expression on her face as she slowly removed his one hand away from the other.  Clara then started to place a few cards in front of each of them before sliding a deck closer towards him.

"Let's play."

~~~

"How much longer?" Minho asked as sweat formed on his forehead.

"If you keep asking it's going to take even longer." Clara told him, looking back at him slightly before looking ahead once more.

The group continued to walk.  Barley any words came between anyone as they were focused on getting to Albuquerque.  Jorge went to head one direction but Clara stopped.