Chapter 14: Cranks Aren't The Only Thing Out There

"Just come home, don't let go
If you look into the distance, there's a house upon the hill
Guiding like a lighthouse to a place where you'll be
Safe to feel our grace 'cause we've all made mistakes
If you've lost your way
I will leave the light on"

"Just come home, don't let goIf you look into the distance, there's a house upon the hillGuiding like a lighthouse to a place where you'll beSafe to feel our grace 'cause we've all made mistakesIf you've lost your wayI will leave the light on"

4 Days Later

"Go!  Go!  Go!"  Carter shouted as him and Clara rounded a corner in a building and started to run through a hall.  The screams of cranks following behind them.

"Where's the exit?!"  Clara screamed.

"Who knows.  Just keep running."  Carter told her as he turned around for a split second and aimed his gun at one of the cranks, shooting right at the head before he continued.

Clara took a sharp turn then skidded to a stop.  "Shit."  Her eyes widened as their pathway was blocked by more cranks who turned their heads to them and screeched.

"We're trapped!"  Carter shouted as he pointed his gun with one hand and held a knife tightly in the other.  Clara held two knives tightly in her hands as she looked around before looking up, the ceiling was torn apart.

"Up you go." Carter said as he dropped his weapons and pushed Clara up while the cranks got closer. Clara quickly turned around and moved her head to the side just in time as a knife was flown her way.

"Sorry!" Carter said before Clara grabbed onto his hand and arm, pulling him up right as a crank tried to clamp its teeth on them.

"Shit."  Carter breathed out as he got up along with Clara.  "We need to keep going."  He said as the two started to run again, the cranks once again making their way up.

The two ran up stairway after stairway until they got to the rooftop.  They slammed the door shut behind them and put boxes in front to try and hold them off for awhile longer. 

"Now we're trapped."  Clara breathed out as she ran over to the edge of the building and looked down. "We have to jump." She told him.

"What?!" Carter exclaimed.

"It's the only way." She told him and Carter stood by her side as he looked down.

"How? We'll die on impact." Carter then looked around before he found a rope. "Jump my ass."

"Hey! I would rather die from the ground then the cranks." Clara huffed.

"Well, I have some news for you." Carter tied one end of the rope to a rock on the wall and yanked it, to make sure it was secured. "We're not dying today." The cranks started to pound on the door, the two whipped their heads to it as they saw the arms clawing out.

"Time to go." Carter rushed down the rope, Clara right behind him. The cranks bursted through the door as they ran around the rooftop before one went jumping off.