Chapter 22: Not Friends

I wanna know if I tell you a secret, will you keep it?
I will never be the same
I bit the fucking apple, I'm surrounded by some snakes
Fight, fight, fight, fight!

I wanna know if I tell you a secret, will you keep it?I will never be the sameI bit the fucking apple, I'm surrounded by some snakesFight, fight, fight, fight!

Fry talked to Aris for a bit while Minho and Newt were silent. Clara stood up and was checking on Winston then turned her back to him as she was looking for a water bottle in her bag. She suddenly stopped when she felt someone take her gun. She quickly turned around and her eyes widened as Winston put the gun towards his head.

"Hey!" She shouted and jumped forward, grabbing his wrist and lowering the gun away right when he pulled the trigger. The bullet going somewhere in a different direction.

"Winston!" Fry went over to his friend in shock while the others gathered.

"What happened?" Thomas asked as he came back over with Teresa.

"He took my gun." Clara told him as she now had it back in her hand.

"It's growing." Winston breathed out as he lifted his shirt. Clara looked at his stomach slightly as she knew what the outcome would be for him.

"I'm not gonna make it....please. Please." Winston breathed out heavily as he lifted his arm up weakly towards Clara.

"Don't let me turn into one of those things." He told her and Clara's heart ached. He reminded her of Carter in his last moments. He didn't want to turn into one too.

No one said or did anything. They didn't know what to do in this situation. Clara did. She knew how this worked. But before she said anything, Newt slowly took the gun from her hand and kneeled down to Winston and gave it to him.

"Newt." Thomas mumbled.

"Thank you." Winston whispered to him. "Now, get out of here." He told the rest.

"Goodbye Winston." Newt told him before grabbing his bag and leaving. The rest of the gladers said their goodbyes which left Thomas and Clara.

"It's ok." Winston told Thomas.

"I'm sorry." Thomas told him, tears in his eyes as he turned around and grabbed his bag. He then looked at Clara, expecting her to follow.

"I'll be there in a bit. You guys go ahead. I need to get my gun back." She told him.

"Clara-"

"I've done this before Thomas." She said, not meeting his gaze. "Go." With that, Thomas left and Clara turned back to Winston.

Clara sat down next to him as she held out her hand and he slowly grabbed hers with his and held it as tight as he could. Winston breathed out heavily and put the gun to his head, and squeezed her hand even harder, Clara squeezing his hand back to, letting him know she wasn't leaving.