chapter 52

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

IN A HEARTBEAT, the WindClan camp fell silent apart from the howling wind above the gorse. Whiterose stared around her. The ThunderClan warriors were tired and battered, but the WindClan cats looked far worse. Every one of them were bleeding, while some lay unmoving on the frozen ground.

Barkface, their medicine cat, wasted no time in rushing from one cat to another, tending to their injuries.

Tallstar limped toward Tigerclaw, blood dripping from his cheek. As watched the WindClan leader, Whiterose couldn't help but feel uneasy. Her stomach did another flip and she whimpered.

Tallstar spoke quietly to Tigerclaw. Whiterose couldn't hear the words they shared, but she could guess by Tallstar's bowed head that the WindClan leader was acknowledging the debt he owed to ThunderClan. Tigerclaw sat up straight and accepted the thanks with his chin held high.

Whiterose felt a wave of tiredness overcame her, her stomach in knots over everything that has happened.

"Here."

Whiterose was shaken from her thoughts by the soft voice of Willowpelt offering her a mouthful of the medicine cats herbs. Whiterose purred her thanks as Willowpelt began squeezing juice from the herb into the bite marks on Whiterose's shoulders. The juice stung but Whiterose didn't complain.

Redstream had given her the same herbs to treat Yellowfang so many moons ago. As the odour of the herbs wafted up. Whiterose turned her tired green eyes over to spot Morningflower, nudging her kit back inside the nursery as he tried to come back out.

"You fought well, Whiterose!" Runningwind meowed, gaining her attention. The brown tabby blinked warmly at Whiterose. He was recalling how they both fought Nightstar.

"Yes," agreed Willowpelt. "You're a fine warrior. StarClan will honour you for this." Whiterose looked at them both, her ears twitching with pleasure. It was a relief to feel part of the Clan again.

Suddenly Whiterose's fur prickled, Darkstripe was stalking across the clearing towards her. What's does he want?

"Are you okay?" asked Willowpelt.

Whiterose realized she was bristling. "Er, yes. Just thinking," Whiterose replied, watching as Darkstripe approached.

"Well, if you're sure. I'll go and see to some others," meowed Willowpelt, taking the herbs.

"Yes-fine," meowed Whiterose. "Thanks." Willowpelt picked up her herbs and padded away. Runningwind followed her.

Darkstripe flattened his ears and drew back his lip and snarled quietly as he glared at Whiterose. "I saw you let go of that RiverClan cat!" He hissed, his dark pelt bristling.