Chapter 5

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

YELLOWFANG GROWLED IN defiance at the approaching paw steps, but Whitepaw could sense her panic. The old she-cat struggled to her feet. "So long, thanks for the meal." She tried to limp away on her three legs and then winced in pain. "Nuh! The leg's stiffened up while I've been resting!"

Now it was too late for her to run. Silent shadows slipped out of the trees, and in a heartbeat the ThunderClan patrol had encircled Firepaw, Whitepaw and Yellowfang. Whitepaw recognised them: Tigerclaw, Darkstripe, Runningwind and Bluestar, all of them lean and hard-muscled. Whitepaw smelled Yellowfang's fear at the sight of them, her own fear sparking up.

Graypaw followed close behind. He bounded out of the bushes and stood beside the warrior patrol. Firepaw mewed a hasty greeting to their Clan. But only Graypaw returned it. "Hi, Firepaw—Whitepaw!" he called out.

"Silence!" Tigerclaw growled, making Whitepaw crouch down in submission. Bluestar stepped forward and rested her tail on her shoulder, "Relax, Whitepaw. We're not going to hurt you."

Whitepaw hesitated but did so and stood straight. Bluestar then nodded and spoke, "What have we here? An enemy warrior—and recently fed, by the smell of the enemy and Firepaw." Her eyes burned into him, and Firepaw dropped his head.

"She was weak and hungry..." He began.

"And what about you? Was your hunger so bad that you had to feed yourself before you had gathered prey for your Clan?" Bluestar went on. "At least Whitepaw could control her hunger—" she gave Whitepaw an approving nod "—I assume you have a good reason for breaking the warrior code."

Whitepaw was not fooled by the leader's soft tone. Bluestar was furious—and rightly so. Firepaw crouched low to the ground like Whitepaw did. Tigerclaw hissed out, "Once a Kittypet, always a Kittypet."

Whitepaw flinched and looked away, and Bluestar ignored Tigerclaw and instead looked at Yellowfang. Suddenly, she was surprised. "Well, well, Firepaw—Whitepaw. It seems you've caught us a ShadowClan cat. And one I know well. You are ShadowClan's medicine cat, aren't you?" she meowed to Yellowfang, surprising Whitepaw completely. "What are you doing so far into ThunderClan territory?"

"I was the medicine cat of ShadowClan. Now I choose to travel alone," hissed Yellowfang.

Whitepaw blinked and looked at the other warriors who were also surprised. Tigerclaw then looked at Whitepaw, beckoning her to his side with his tail. He sniffed her wound and growled, looking up. "This cat has injured our apprentices in their own territory, they were lucky to beat Yellowfang and not get killed. She should be chased out of the territory, or better yet, killed."

Darkstripe nodded, "This cat is no use to us. Let's kill her now. As for the kittypet's, they have broken the warrior code by feeding an enemy warrior, they should be punished."