Chapter 11

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

BLUESTAR STOOD AND began to pad toward Mothermouth. Tigerclaw walked beside her, matching her strides step for step.

"Come on, Ravenpaw," called Graypaw. Ravenpaw was still sitting on the rock, staring up at the other rocks. At Graypaw's mew, he stood and began to follow slowly. Whitepaw saw Firepaw's concerned gaze towards the black-furred apprentice and nudged him with her shoulder. "You okay?"

The flame coloured apprentice gave her a blank look and then nodded after some thought, "I'm good. What about you?"

"Nervous," Whitepaw admitted and followed behind with Firepaw up towards Mothermouth. They both stood on the threshold and peered inside. The blackness beyond the stone archway was darker than the cloudiest night. Whitepaw felt like something would jump out of the shadows any moment!

Beside them, Ravenpaw and Graypaw craned their heads nervously around the entrance. Even Tigerclaw seemed unsettled by the black hole ahead of them. "How will we find our way in such darkness?" he asked.

"Let StarClan light our path?" Whitepaw guessed and Bluestar nodded, "Whitepaw is correct. StarClan guides our subconscious, don't worry, Tigerclaw. Ravenpaw and Graypaw, you will remain guard outside. Firepaw and Whitepaw, you will both accompany me and Tigerclaw to the Moonstone."

Whitepaw felt thrill go through her small form. What an honour! She glanced sideways at Tigerclaw. Her mentor sat with his chin boldly raised, but she could detect a subtle fear scent coming from him. It grew stronger as Bluestar stepped forward into the darkness.

Tigerclaw shook his mighty head and padded after Bluestar but looked down when he felt fur brush his. Whitepaw looked up at her mentor with a purr. "Don't worry, Tigerclaw. You don't have to be scared! I'll be there with you," she meowed encouragingly.

Tigerclaw purred and touched her muzzle with his before following her in the darkness. Inside the cave, Whitepaw's eyes still detected nothing. The complete and utter blackness felt strange, and despite her mentor behind her and her Clan leader in front, she was still nervous and scared.

The cold, damp air reached through her medium-length fur and into her bones, stiffening her muscles. Even the coldest nights did not hold the same chill as the air here. The rock felt smooth and icy underneath her soft paws. Freezing air chilled her lungs with each breath, until she felt light-headed.

She followed Bluestar through the darkness, judging her way by feel and scent alone. On and on they went, and she wondered how long they've been going for.

"Where are we?" Firepaw asked from behind Tigerclaw.

"We have entered the cavern of the Moonstone," Bluestar replied softly. "Wait here. It will be moon-high soon."

Whitepaw and Tigerclaw laid down next to each other for warmth and she dug her nose into his shoulder, feeling warm inside. She didn't know what this feeling was, but she liked it. Tigerclaw's rapid and fearful breathing slowed down when she cuddled into him, and she felt his fur flatten. Tigerclaw licked her neck fur with gratitude before resting his head on hers for warmth.

Firepaw folded his legs a tail-length away from them and was waiting patiently.

Suddenly, in a flash more blinding than the setting sun, the cave was lit up. Whitepaw's eyes were wide open after the blackness of the tunnel. She closed them quickly against the cold, white light. Then slowly she opened them into tiny slits and peered ahead.

She saw a gleaming rock, which glittered as if it were made from countless dewdrops. The Moonstone! She thought. In the cold light reflected from the stone, she could make out the shadowy edges of a high-roofed cavern. The Moonstone rose up from the middle of the floor, three tail-lengths high.

Bluestar was gazing upward, her fur bleached white in the glow of the Moonstone. Even Tigerclaw's dark pelt shone silver. Whitepaw followed Firepaw and Bluestar's gazes. High in the roof was an opening that revealed a narrow triangle of night sky. The moon was casting a beam of light through the hole, down onto the Moonstone, making it sparkle like a star.

Beside her, Whitepaw felt Tigerclaw's fear-scent come back up again. She licked his cheek comfortingly and he stood up. He gave her a hesitant nod before leaving the cavern.

"Whitepaw? Firepaw?" Bluestar's voice was quiet and calm.

"We're still here," Whitepaw answered nervously. What had frightened her mentor?

"Bluestar?" Firepaw meowed when she didn't answer.

"It is alright, young warriors; don't be afraid." Bluestar murmured. Her calm voice settled them a little. "I think Tigerclaw was surprised by the power of the Moonstone. In the world above, Tigerclaw is a fearless and mighty warrior, but down here, where the spirits of StarClan speak, a cat needs a different kind of strength. What do you two feel?"

"Only my own curiosity," Firepaw meowed.

Whitepaw shuffled her paws, "I-I'm not sure. But I know I'm not too scared."

"That's good," Bluestar replied.

Whitepaw watched as Bluestar padded up to the stone and lay beside it. She reached her head forward and touched the Moonstone with her nose. Her blue eyes sparkled with its reflection for a moment before she closed them. Now, she rested her head on her paws, her eyelids flickering, her paws twitching occasionally. Firepaw looked at her questionably and the white apprentice shrugged.

Whitepaw got up and laid down beside her brother, warming eachother up.

"Is she sleeping?" Firepaw whispered.

"New leaders have to sleep near the stone," she replied quietly. "And as they sleep, they have special dreams."

They waited. The chill was not so intense here than it was in Mothermouth. They had no idea how much time had passed, but suddenly, the rock had stopped glowing. The cavern was plunged into darkness once more. Firepaw looked up to the roof of the cavern as Whitepaw laid her head on the cool stony ground. She could make out the pale shape of her leader, lying beside the Moonstone. She wanted to call out her name but did not dare break the silence.

After more silence, the blue-grey she-cat spoke, "Firepaw? Whitepaw? Are you still there?" Her voice sounded remote and agitated.

"Yes, Bluestar," Firepaw heard Bluestar's pawstep's approaching.

"Hurry," she hissed. Whitepaw felt her fur brush past her. "We must return to camp."

They both looked at each other then raced after her, astonished by the speed with which she rushed through the blackness. They followed her scent blindly, up and up the stone tunnel, until she led them safely to the outside world.

Tigerclaw was waiting outside at the opening beside Graypaw and Ravenpaw as the three cats climbed out of the cave. His expression cold and his fur slightly ruffled, but he sat emotionless and dignified. His eyes softened when he saw the white apprentice, though.

"Tigerclaw," Bluestar greeted him but did not mention the warrior cat's flight from the depths.

Tigerclaw relaxed more, "What did you learn?"
"We must return to camp immediately," Bluestar meowed briefly.

Whitepaw felt anxious by the look of desperation in her leaders' eyes. She saw Firepaw's eyes cloud with horror and concern. She could faintly smell fear-scent on her brother's pelt. The six cats raced down the slope away from Mothermouth.

Whitepaw could feel her breath go ragged, what happened in Bluestar's visit to StarClan? What did they tell her?

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱