chapter 49

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

WHITEROSE PUSHED HERSELF to her paws and walked over to join Bluestar, Whitestorm, Sandpaw and Swiftpaw beneath Highrock. With a small flick of her white tail she beckoned Dustpaw, who was licking his own scratched beside the tree stump. Dustpaw flashed her a doubtful look but got up wearily and followed her.

"We've buried Clawface," meowed Sandpaw.

"Thank you," Bluestar replied. The ThunderClan looked directly at Swiftpaw. "You may go."

The black-and-white apprentice dipped his head and headed for his den. Whiterose signalled to Dustpaw again to come closer. The tabby apprentice narrowed his eyes and padded forward to stand beside Sandpaw.

"Bluestar," Whiterose began hesitantly, "Sandpaw and Dustpaw fought like warriors when Brokentail attacked. We would have been in much more trouble without their strength and courage." Dustpaw's eyes widened and Sandpaw looked at the ground as Whiterose spoke.

A purr rumbled from Whitestorm's throat. "It's not like you to be shy," he meowed to his apprentice.

Sandpaw's ears twitched uncomfortably. " Whiterose and Fireheart's the two true warriors who saved the Clan," she burst out, looking at Whiterose with a glow of admiration of her own. "They were the ones who alerted the camp so that we were ready for Brokentail's attack."

It was Whiterose's turn to feel embarrassed. She was relieved when Tigerclaw and the hunting party trotted into the camp at that moment, carrying plenty of fresh kill.

Bluestar nodded at Tigerclaw and then turned to face Dustpaw and Sandpaw. "It makes me proud to know that ThunderClan has such fine warriors," she meowed. "It's time you both took up your warrior names. We shall have the naming ceremony now, while the sun is setting, and then we can eat."

Sandpaw and Dustpaw looked excitedly at each other. Whiterose lifted her chin and purred. Bluestar called to the Clan, and Whiterose felt even happier when she saw Graystripe appear from the warrior's den. He hadn't left the camp after all.

The Clan gathered around the edge of the clearing. Elders and queens sat with the apprentices and kits on one side; Whiterose waited with the warriors on the other, pressed closely against Tigerclaw's side as the main coon rested his chin on her head.

Whiterose looked at Cloudkit and Blackkit nestled beside Brindleface, who was sitting next to Fireheart. The kits eyes shone with excitement.

Bluestar stood in the centre with Sandpaw and Dustpaw. The last arc of sun glowed pink on the horizon. The Clan waited silently as it dipped out of sight, leaving the darkening sky pricked with stars.

Bluestar looked up and fixed her eyes on the brightest star in Silverpelt. "I, Bluestar, leader of ThunderClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on these two apprentices. They have trained hard to understand the ways of your code, and I command them to you as warriors in their turn."