Whiterose nodded. "Yes, Bluestar."

That's when the white she-cat saw her brother in the crowd between Brindleface and Yellowfang. He nodded as well.

Hunting with Graystripe was fine for Whiterose. After yesterday's battle, she felt hopeful that Graystripe would like the idea too. As Bluestar walked away, Whiterose stood beside her brother and scanned the clearing, hoping that Graystripe hadn't disappeared again. No, there he was, helping to clear the snow from the nursery entrance.

"Hey, Graystripe," Fireheart called. Graystripe carried on with his work. Fireheart and Whiterose bounded over to him. "Do you want to go hunting this morning?"

Graystripe turned to face them, his eyes cold. "Are you making sure I don't disappear again?" he snarled.

Whiterose was startled. "N-no, I just thought...after yesterday...Clawface..." She felt lost for words, what could she say?

"I would have done the same for any ThunderClan cat. That's what Clan loyalty is about!" Graystripe's meow was harsh with anger as he went back to pushing snow.

Whiterose's hopes plummeted. Had she and her brother lost their friend's trust forever? She turned away, tail down, and began to trudge through the snow toward the camp entrance.

Fireheart called over his shoulder, "Bluestar told us to go hunting with you this morning, actually, so you can explain to her why you're not coming."

"Oh, I see, you were both just trying to please Bluestar, as usual!" Graystripe hissed. Fireheart whipped around, ready to throw back a retort, but he paused when he saw that Graystripe was crossing the clearing towards them, shaking snowflakes from his wide shoulders. "Come on, the," Graystripe growled, leading the way through the gorse tunnel.

It was a slow climb out of the ravine, with the boulders covered in snow. When they reached the top, the icebound forest stretched before them. Graystripe charged away at once, his face set with grim determination. Fireheart and his sister followed him. As Whiterose tracked a mouse around the roots of an oak tree she saw Graystripe racing after a rabbit that had been foolish enough to stray from its burrow. Graystripe pelted furiously after the creature until he finished it off with a well-aimed pounce. Fireheart nearby sat and watched as Graystripe padded back to him and dropped the rabbit at Fireheart's paws.

"That should feed a kit or two." He grunted.

"You don't have to prove anything to us," Fireheart told him.

"No?" Graystripe answered bitterly. His eyes met Fireheart's green one's, cold and angry. "Maybe you should start acting as if you trusted me, then." He turned away before Fireheart could reply.

By sunhigh Graystripe had caught more than Fireheart and Whiterose, but all three cats had done well. They returned to camp, their jaws heavy with fresh kill. They padded into the clearing and dropped their prey in the usual place. The spot had been empty so far.

Whiterose wondered if they should go out again. The snow was heavier now, and a cold wind was beginning to blow through the ravine. Whiterose was studying the darkening sky when she heard Brindleface's worried meow near the nursery. She bounded over to see what was wrong. "What's the matter?" Fireheart asked worriedly from beside his sister.

"Have you seen Cloudkit and Blackkit?" she demanded.

Whiterose shook her head. "Is he missing?" Her paws prickled as Brindleface's rising panic began to infect her.

"Yes. So are my other kits. I only closed my eyes for a moment. I just woke up and I can't find them anywhere! It's too cold for them to be out. They'll freeze to death!" The queen swayed on her paws. Alarm shot through Whiterose as she pictured Cloudkit and Blackkit frozen underneath the snow.