1

Ivy's PoV

I had survived as 'Unclaimed territory' for another month. It's easy to fool the system. You just need to me in mandatory places at the right time.

All my friends have already been chosen. All throughout hanging out with them, they would always say how much the system sucks but, when we turned 17 all they seemed to care about was getting choosen. We would go out and they would wear flashy outfits that showed off their bodies like they were trophies. Doing that made every male turn in our direction. They left me for something we used to fight against together.

There was an inspection of all houses today. A normal inspection would be on a school day where the children and 'unclaims' would be locked in a room for 10 hours learning all that they needed to. By order of the law little girls were learning housekeeping and Unclaimes would be learning about 'How to please your master' and 'What to bring up in a conversation'.

This inspection was odd to say the least. They started at the end of the street and moved very quickly, like they were just handing out something.

The loudest knock ever head reverberated throught the house. I wanted so badly to answer it but, like most things, it was against the law.

"Hello?"

I heard my mother's voice from my room.

"Mrs. Winter, thank you for answering the door. This letter is an invitation to a choosing ball that is being held this Saturday. All Unclaimed must attend. That includes your daughter, Ivy."

"Thank you sir. Have a nice day."

That was it. The whole inspection. Just a letter saying that I must attend a choosing ball. Great. Nothing new.

I had laid down on my bed when a soft knock was heard from my door. It was mother, I knew it was her just my the way that she knocked.

"Come in." I said politely aloud picking up a book that I had on my nightstand without looking at the title.

"Ivy." My mother said as she entered. "Oh! You're reading this month's copy of 'How to be a better slave'."

Great. It was the worst book in existence.

"Yes I am. I just love learning about every way to make my master choose me to become his wife. Who was at the door mother?"

"Oh right! It was an officer of state. A family is holding a choosing ball where all Unclaimed girls must go. That is you. We're going shopping tomorrow to find you a gown."

Of course we are.

"Thank you for the news. When will dinner be ready?"

"In about 20 minutes."

And with that she left my room, shut the door, and locked behind her.

Well, I guess I have to pull out all my makeup and hair stuff for this ball on Saturday.

As I got up, I caught a glimpse of my day tracker. It was Thursday evening. Oh no.