Snakes

Callista's POV

"Silas?" Pansy shouts and it echoes through the hallway bouncing off the walls as we walk down to the exit of my building.

Shushing her, she turns around to face me and whispers a faint sorry before she continues talking. "Silas, as in your ex who just disappeared off the face of the earth?"

Stopping in her tracks angled with one foot on a step up and one below, she looks at me waiting for my answer and I just simply nod my head. Shaking her head she turns back around and continues skipping down the steps till we make it to the lit up exit sign.

"So Theo showed up while you were talking to him and ended up beating his ass? That man has been gone for almost three months and he comes back with a bang. Kinda romantic Cal I'm not going to lie." Shrugging her shoulders as she uses her back to push open the back door.

Smirking at me, I roll my eyes and shake my head earning a shove to my shoulder from her.

"Oh cmon, you have to admit the man clearly has the hots for you. He has a little routine.." her words pausing as she makes her way to the car and turns her body swiftly in front of me making me pause in my tracks. "..he always leaves and when he comes back what's the first thing he does?"

"I don't know. But leaving isn't romantic Pans, it's dumb and the last thing I need is another man disappearing out of thin air on me again." I reply back shrugging my shoulders and furrowing my brows a bit.

The thought of Silas leaving me at that airport completely tore me apart then and now. Hashing that memory back open like ripping off a scab from a healing wound. He was everything to me and even if we didn't define our relationship and put a label onto it, he was the first of everything. I guess that's what happens when you meet someone like him as a preteen and thrive for continuous excitement because that's exactly what he gave me.

Silas was a big part of my life and that's something only Pansy knew about. My father found out about him at some point and called me to let me know that he was going to leave me at some point, that he would realize I wasn't woman enough for him- to take care of him.

And all these years I thought he was right after he left me there alone. Our relationship was full of so much exciting but chaotic moments but it's all I knew. His possessive but abusive tendencies were what I recognized, what I thought was what 'couples' did to show they loved each other. Of course I was young and naive back then because now I know to never let a man back into my life to even give him that opportunity.

What's the point in dating when I'm not looking for an endgame? Simply fuck around and act like each other don't exist after.

Marriage and kids were also something my father said would make me a real woman. Jokes on him though, I didn't want either of those things. To be stuck with the same person and having a paper define your whole relationship. To chasing after gremlins and go to PTA meetings to deal with snobby know it all moms.

I'd much rather get anally fucked by Satan himself then dare to- but then again that doesn't sound like such a terrible thing to do. May just be me.

"Cal, he always comes up to the club basically to announce his arrival. Not any club..our club. That has to be a coincidence, do you not think so?" She looks at me with curiosity in her eyes as she watches me walk over to the passenger side of her vehicle.

"You also have to think he works for the mafia. I'm sure he's just being sent off for shit constantly."

Fuck.

I forgot all about this mission to stay close to him and find out who his boss was. I'm surprised Karen hasn't reached out to me about it yet. I've honestly had too much going on especially after the other night when Theo and Silas got into it. How did Theo even know I was back there?