Chapter 17: Batuu.

The ship landed on Batuu few hours later. Ly'ra had been silent since their departure, as she had prefered staying focused on piloting and she had ignored Switch's gazes. As the Shuttle's bridge opened on the small Black Spire Outpost, the young woman was hit by the atmosphere of the city.

Having mainly shops but not being very sure, the planet was under the First Order's domination since the destruction of Hosnian Prime. Ever since then, conflicts between the official order and the Resistance was quite common, but if Kylo Ren was coming on this planet today, it was because of this message received by the Outpost few days before.

While the three of them were leaving the ship to step inside the small city, Ly'ra glanced around and saw several inhabitants. Few of them were not hiding their anger, but most of them were simply terrorized. Even too scared to even look up at the new Supreme Leader. And Ly'ra felt ashamed about that. Ashamed of having to hide behind her fake reputation. Ashamed of having to pretend. Ashamed of what she could have become if she hadn't crossed Leïa's path several years ago.

As she adjusted her hood in front of her face, the young woman kept her green eyes right in front of her, acting perfectly her role. Kylo Ren crossed the small market and headed towards his meeting point with Hux, Ly'ra on his right and Switch on his left, the Stormtroopers in charge of their protection right behind them. When they reached the high watchtower, the young Sith glanced at his apprentice who nodded discreetly in understanding before turning on her heels. Switch didn't notice anything and was pacing, obviously impatient at the idea to leave.

"Calm down please. Don't give them a reason to confront us."

The mercenary arched a brow, smirking.

"What? Her Highness is afraid of few beggars?"

Ly'ra shook her head and ignored his words. But when she was about to lose all her patience and send Switch away with the Force, she froze, suddenly feeling a disturbance growing in the small city: people were leaving the place quickly and the sellers were closing their shops. Something was coming. All her senses were on alert and the young woman glanced around, not noticing right away some well-known figures stepping closer on the roofs around them.

*******

Hidden behind a chimney with his men, Dameron took a quick glance behind the dike. He noticed Kylo Ren, two bodyguards, one of them probably being the Supreme Leader's new apprentice Poe had heard about, and several Stormtroopers. He sighed before turning back towards his group. Vi could gather several volunteers to join the ranks of the Resistance, but they were all very young. In their eyes, the pilot could see the excitement to face their very first fight, but also the fear to finally confront the First Order. And on his side, Dameron kept telling himself to focus on the fight, hiding deep down his own doubts and worries.

Moradi had warned them about the arrival of Kylo Ren on Batuu just few days ago, but their plan was ready and nothing could have stopped them now.

Almost nothing.

"BB8? Do you copy buddy?"

Settled on the roof on the other side of the street with Snap and few other recruits, the small droid beeped discreetly before giving the comlink to the pilot who was with him.

"Poe? We're ready, just give the order."

The small communication device crackled, a sign that Dameron was opening another channel to talk with the other groups hidden around.

"Is everyone ready?"

"Poe, it's Rose. We're good here!"

"Finn here, we're good too."

Rey wasn't with them. Everyone, even the Jedi, thought that her presence would betray them and draw the attention of Kylo Ren, making the mission fail. The young woman still needed some time to train before being able to face the Supreme Leader. The pilot took then a deep breath, emptied his mind just for a second, eyes shut. Then, he placed his rifle blaster on the low wall to stabilise it, just before giving his orders:

"Okay, let's go!"

*******

The building's door slid on one side, revealing an exhausted General Hux. Exhausted but with fury in his eyes. He glared coldly at Kylo Ren before stepping on the side, allowing the Supreme Leader to come in the high stone building. The young officer kept his eyes on the dark and veiled figure who was waiting outside. The young woman fixed him back a moment before looking away. She never thought that her "return" in the First Order would trouble her so much. For years, she had been so sure that she hated Armitage Hux for what he did to her. At least it was what she should have felt. But the truth was not so simple. She had loved that man. And seeing what he was becoming made her truly sad.

"Trouble with your boyfriend, lovebirds?"

"Shut up."

Just when the young Sith was about to step in the building, a very precise blaster's shot destroyed the control panel, blocking the opening and closing system. Warned by the sound, Switch, Ly'ra and the Stormtroopers glanced around, looking for the origin of the shot. They didn't have to wait too long though, as several groups of Resistants started appearing from everywhere, stepping out of their hiding places and they started shooting. They were coming from all around them, from the roofs, the houses and even from some basements. Switch grabbed his blasters and started shooting back.

Ly'ra glanced at Kylo Ren, who nodded discreetly before disappearing inside the building. The young woman sighed, closed her eyes before turning on her heels to face the fighters. She took a deep breath and, when she opened back her eyes, they were lighting red. With a small flick of her wrists, she gathered her powers and as they were boiling in her veins, she fought off several blasters shots. She could feel Switch's gaze on her right and glanced at him quickly. When she saw him laughing, she arched a brow, intrigued by his behaviour.

"Something's funny?"

"It's almost like the old days Comrade! Your super powers are a bonus!"

"Moron..."

The young woman rolled her eyes and fought off another blaster shot that was aiming at Switch. Why did she just save him? She wasn't sure but she didn't really have to time to think about it. Indeed, the young pilot wasn't quick enough to avoid another shot coming on her left. She took it in her shoulder and let out a pain cry.

"Hey, you okay?"

"Shut up and shoot!"

Ly'ra looked up and was already prepared to send all her powers on the opponents, a familiar red light was starting to appear between her hands.

*******

"Are you joking? That's this asshole! That's Switch! Shoot him!"

When he recognized Bango's voice in his ear, Poe straightened up and noticed that, indeed, one of Kylo Ren's bodyguards was the mercenary, who seemed to have a lot of fun with this surprised attack. Dameron aimed at him and shot but his attempt was deviated by a kind of force coming from the second bodyguard, the Supreme Leader's apprentice. The figure, black veiled, had pushed away the shot with a kind of shield created with some kind of energy, a red light energy.

A bit like...

A vision of himself and Ly'ra in his room, back on D'Qar came back into his mind. When the young woman was talking about her new powers and was showing him this red light energy coming from her hands.

"Oh no... It can't be..."

A second shot reached the young woman at her shoulder, forcing her to step back.

Panic started invading him completely and Poe grabbed his comlink, yelling:

"Cease fire! Stop!"

But his order wasn't heard quick enough. Finn had already engaged the firing and the explosion happened a second later.

"NO!"